Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Quakky <Qu...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/19 17:51:25 UTC

How to compile/package files in a module into different jars?

Hi guys,
I have been working with maven for about a week or so, and ive been doing
good progress with it, but now im stuck at a point where I dont know how to
compile files in a module into different Jars. What I mean by that is lets
say I have files "A", "B" and "C", and I would like to compile files "A" and
"B" into 1 Jar, then file "C" into another jar. How can i achieve this?
Someone on IRC channel suggested that I put file "C" into its own module,
but this (according to the coders) has negative side effects. So is there
anything that I can do to achieve this?

Thanks in advance :-)

Re: How to compile/package files in a module into different jars?

Posted by Quakky <Qu...@gmail.com>.
Here are some of the negatives: Testing time increases if more files are
grouped, bugs can take longer to be found if alot of files are compiled
together, and the possibility of the whole application not working because
the code can't find the correct files/jars.

The reason why the 1 jar/module is kinda of a problem is that coders at my
company right now already have their hands full, therefore trying to get
them to change the code so it suites the default maven is gonna be very
difficult. That is why I'm trying to get maven to work with our application
without any code change. Which really means that after i figure this problem
out, I also have to create a custom archetype (which i still gotta learn how
to do). So ya this is some of the negatives in adding more modules to jar
certain files.

Re: How to compile/package files in a module into different jars?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Maven likes 1 artifact per module. So the advice of the guys on IRC is
best. What "negative side affects" are your coders worried about?

Wayne