Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Brown <mi...@skew.org> on 2013/07/11 18:09:54 UTC

Help eliminate false positive for Google Code notifications

Google Code sends out notifications from <project name>@googlecode.com. These
notifications have Message-ID headers that start with two digits and a dash,
triggering this rule:

SARE_MSGID_DDDASH Message-ID has ratware pattern (9-, 9$, 99-)

The rule was proposed in 2004:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200402.mbox/%3C20040204190450.9B96217007@jmason.org%3E

A sample Message-ID (I have an issue starred in the Android project):
<46...@googlecode.com>

Complete mbox message at http://pastebin.com/W5cN4DFd

The false positive is not contributing much to the score (1.666), but I don't
like it, so I'd like to avoid triggering the rule altogether if I can. I want
to do it in the preferred way, if there is a preferred way. Any solution I
would come up with would be pretty kludgy. So, suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Help eliminate false positive for Google Code notifications

Posted by Mike Brown <mi...@skew.org>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> its was good since to many still use it :)

In my case it was that the old rulesets were left behind long after the
updates stopped; they kept getting transferred over through upgrades of
SpamAssassin and Perl. Once I deleted them, all was well. Well, except that
more spam started getting through. :)

Re: Help eliminate false positive for Google Code notifications

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Posted by Mike Brown <mi...@skew.org>.
Axb wrote:
> SARE rules are obsolete/unsupported/ancient/history/etc and shouldn't be
> used.
> Do yourself a favour and remove those files - will save you CPU cycles,
> memory and lots of headaches.

Heh, even easier than I thought.

I think I had assumed that if I stopped fetching them, I wouldn't have them
anymore, especially after upgrading Spamassassin. But they stayed and got
copied over from upgrade to upgrade.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 07/11/2013 06:09 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> Google Code sends out notifications from <project name>@googlecode.com. These
> notifications have Message-ID headers that start with two digits and a dash,
> triggering this rule:
>
> SARE_MSGID_DDDASH Message-ID has ratware pattern (9-, 9$, 99-)
>
> The rule was proposed in 2004:
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200402.mbox/%3C20040204190450.9B96217007@jmason.org%3E
>
> A sample Message-ID (I have an issue starred in the Android project):
> <46...@googlecode.com>
>
> Complete mbox message at http://pastebin.com/W5cN4DFd
>
> The false positive is not contributing much to the score (1.666), but I don't
> like it, so I'd like to avoid triggering the rule altogether if I can. I want
> to do it in the preferred way, if there is a preferred way. Any solution I
> would come up with would be pretty kludgy. So, suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

SARE rules are obsolete/unsupported/ancient/history/etc and shouldn't be
used.
Do yourself a favour and remove those files - will save you CPU cycles,
memory and lots of headaches.

your truly,
a retired SARE Ninja

Re: Help eliminate false positive for Google Code notifications

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Mike Brown skrev den 2013-07-11 18:09:

> SARE_MSGID_DDDASH Message-ID has ratware pattern (9-, 9$, 99-)

sare rulesets is depricated, so you are on your own :=)