Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rajeev Prasad <rp...@yahoo.com> on 2012/09/25 01:48:44 UTC

[users@httpd] wrong IP address in apache logs

Hello,

I am using authentication from another site in intranet (redirect user), but i am expecting the user's PC IP in the apache logs. I am not seeing that, I sometimes see VPN IP (when I come over VPN) or IP of a server, which is entirely different hardware. has no connection to mine.

can anyone help understand and resolve this issue? None of the users coming to site show their PC IP address in log. I want to fix this ASAP.

server: ubuntu 10.10
apache: 2.2.16

I have following in my site config, in virtual host config:

    ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mywebsite.error.log

    # alert, emerg.
    LogLevel warn

    CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mywebsite.access.log combined

ty.

[users@httpd] (resolved) Re: [users@httpd] wrong IP address in apache logs

Posted by Rajeev Prasad <rp...@yahoo.com>.
it was resolved using this help":   http://www.techstacks.com/howto/log-client-ip-and-xforwardedfor-ip-in-apache.html

________________________________
You may want to look at: reverse proxy add forward module for Apache (mod_rpaf). It cleaned up a big headache for me. You define a list of your possible proxy sources and what your x-forwarded header is, and it just takes care of it. The developer’s site is http://stderr.net/apache/rpaf/

Although maintained outside the Apache Project it has been available in Ubuntu since at least Hardy. (package name: libapache2-mod-rpaf). Also since 10.10 is no longer supported, you’ll need to upgrade your system to install any packages.

Posted by Chris Faust <cf...@doyougot.com>.
Are you behind a load balancer/reverse proxy? It sounds like you just want to change your LogFormat in the httpd.com, something like

LogFormat "%{X-Forwarded-For}i %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" reverseproxy

Then in your custom log

CustomLog /xxxx/access.log reverseproxy

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 16:48 -0700, Rajeev Prasad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using authentication from another site in intranet (redirect
> user), but i am expecting the user's PC IP in the apache logs. I am
> not seeing that, I sometimes see VPN IP (when I come over VPN) or IP
> of a server, which is entirely different hardware. has no connection
> to mine.
>
> can anyone help understand and resolve this issue? None of the users
> coming to site show their PC IP address in log. I want to fix this
> ASAP.
>
> server: ubuntu 10.10
> apache: 2.2.16
>
> I have following in my site config, in virtual host config:
>
>     ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mywebsite.error.log
>
>     # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
>     # alert, emerg.
>     LogLevel warn
>
>     CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mywebsite.access.log combined
>

> ty.

LogFormat "%h %{X-Forwarded-For}i %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined

That might do what you want