Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ra...@epost.de on 2004/03/11 15:32:26 UTC

Any Proconditions for copy WC -> URL?

I do have problems with a copy WC to URL when creating a tag. Here is the
command and the error message:

> svn copy -m "test of copy command" . svn://serverName/Dev/tags/aLongTagName
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Out of Date : directoryName

I'm executing the command in the top level directory of the working copy.
The directoryName is the name of the directory where I did my last changes.
But before I changed into the top level directory to create the tag, I did
an update and commit of the directory "directoryName". Also the whole working
copy is up to date (according to svn status -u). Moreover I understood from
the documentation that one can make a snapshoot from a WC, meaning the WC
does not need to be up to date at all.

If I perform first a svn update in the top level directory (nothing gets
updated as everything is up to date), the copy works.

My question is: what am I missing? Is there any requirement to fullfill
before making a tag from a WC?

AW: Re: Any Proconditions for copy WC -> URL?

Posted by Ra...@epost.de.
>-- Original Nachricht --
>From: Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>
>To: Ralf.Hecht@epost.de
>Cc: users@subversion.tigris.org
>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:00:26 -0600
>Subject:  Re: Any Proconditions for copy WC -> URL?
>

>On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 09:32, Ralf.Hecht@epost.de wrote:
>
>> If I perform first a svn update in the top level directory (nothing gets
>> updated as everything is up to date), the copy works.
>
>Hmmm, I wonder if this is the "rule #2" preventing you from committing
>your change, as I mentioned in another email a few minutes ago.  Does
>your working copy have any local property-changes on the troublesome
>directory?

No it does not.

Regards, Ralf

Re: Any Proconditions for copy WC -> URL?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.