Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Eddie Epstein <ed...@aewatercolors.com> on 2006/12/22 16:52:50 UTC

Re: CAS and CasView redesign - question if all views should share thesame indexes?

> * There is one "Global Index Repository" in the CAS (accessible by
> CAS.getGlobalIndexRepository() and CAS.addFsToGlobalIndexes())
>
> * Each view has its own Index Repository, containing only the indexes
> that are specific to that view. (accessible by
> CasView.getIndexRepository() and CasView.addFsToIndexes()).
>
> * There may be an additional method CAS.getCompleteIndexRepository()
> which returns an IndexRepository that contains ALL indexes in the
> entire CAS, including the global indexes as well as all indexes in all
> views.  However, I argued that this index repository should be
> read-only (i.e. not support addFS()), because adding an FS to all
> views in one fell swoop seemed like to dangerous an operation.

We had previously discussed that using the base CAS as a single global
view was not useful for applications because of potential collisions, and
therefore recommended that a collection of multi-view analytics that need
a single "global" view should create a named view for that purpose.
Doesn't that previous discussion read on the topic of global indexes?

Eddie

Re: CAS and CasView redesign - question if all views should share thesame indexes?

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 12/22/06, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Eddie Epstein wrote:
> > Doesn't that previous discussion read on the topic of global indexes?
>
> Is it my brain, or this sentence, that doesn't make any sense ;-)  Could
> you explain?

Must be Eddie's Southern US dialect. ;)  I'm not familiar with that
use of "read on" either.  From context I'm guessing it's supposed to
mean the same thing as "speak to" as in, "has relevance to".

-Adam

Re: CAS and CasView redesign - question if all views should share thesame indexes?

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Eddie Epstein wrote:

> We had previously discussed that using the base CAS as a single global
> view was not useful for applications because of potential collisions, and
> therefore recommended that a collection of multi-view analytics that need
> a single "global" view should create a named view for that purpose.

So far I'm with you.  Marshall had mentioned this as well.  I kind of
like the idea, I'm just wondering how complex this will be to specify.
To me, the core idea is that a view holds a subset of all indexes.
Those indexes could be shared by other views, if that makes sense.

> Doesn't that previous discussion read on the topic of global indexes?

Is it my brain, or this sentence, that doesn't make any sense ;-)  Could
you explain?

--Thilo

Re: CAS and CasView redesign - question if all views should share thesame indexes?

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
> We had previously discussed that using the base CAS as a single global
> view was not useful for applications because of potential collisions, and
> therefore recommended that a collection of multi-view analytics that need
> a single "global" view should create a named view for that purpose.
> Doesn't that previous discussion read on the topic of global indexes?

I remember that discussion, but I guess I'm flip-flopping.  It's true
global indexes would need to be used with some care; annotators can't
assume no one else is writing to them.  Used appropriately, I don't
see this as likely to cause a problem (but if you want to argue
otherwise, maybe you can convince me to flop back to the other side
again).

I see there as being only two options here:
(a) Have a global index of some kind in order to allow annotators to
work on the CAS without regard for views.
(b) Require that to do any work with the CAS you need to work with a
view.  I believe that this is inconsisent with the OASIS architecture
proposal.

-Adam