Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by ZHOU Yuan <du...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/25 14:46:51 UTC

Java API for Arrow Compute

Hi Arrow developers,

The compute APIs(neat!) seems now available in c++, python and rust, is
there any plan/work on adding the Java API?

Cheers, -yuan

Re: Java API for Arrow Compute

Posted by Ji Liu <ni...@aliyun.com.INVALID>.
Either JNI or pure Java compute is ok for me, and agreed that specific use-cases and designs are needed before starting.

A pure Java compute is easy to use for java developers I think and the algorithm module is a good start (thanks Liya Fan), if we finally decide this way, I can help if needed.

Thanks,
Ji Liu

From:Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2019年11月26日(星期二) 13:02
To:dev <de...@arrow.apache.org>
Subject:Re: Java API for Arrow Compute

+1 to Liya Fan said.  Before starting on the endeavor it would be nice to
have concrete use-cases and what we think the end-state is, and  some
light-weight design upfront.  It seems like in the Java world there are
already a lot of analysis tools, and it isn't clear to me how a "compute"
layer would fit into the ecosystem.  There was some discussion around this
on the mailing list recently [1].

As a personal preference, I would prefer trying to integrate with the C++
code base via JNI (as Wes mentioned) then build yet another set of
computation components unless there were very clear goals of what a Java
version would be looking to accomplish.  However, if there are enough
volunteers willing to support a pure Java compute, then it might be
worthwhile.

Thanks,
Micah

[1]