Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2013/07/09 05:50:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Guys,

I wanna kick-off the discussion on the content of 0.7.0 BOM
Release 0.6.0 was all about stabilization of the stack and I think we got a
great headway on that. The following components/OS were in the frame of the
discussion:
    http://is.gd/H52iVe

My personal take that we need to spend this release cycle working on the
improvements in Bigtop itself: we got enough "technical debts" in the
pipeline that have to be addressed. To name a few:
  - testability/test coverage
  - test framework
  - package improvements
  - build improvements (including performance)

In order to be able to deliver a solid stack again yet improve all things
Bigtop I'd like to focus on the latter, hence keeping the former at bay and
limiting the component updates to the bugfix releases only (if warranted). E.g.

    Hadoop 2.0.5 or later (stabilization branch of Hadoop 2)
    HBase 0.94.9 (update from the Bigtop 0.6.0)
    HCatalog 0.5.0 (same as 0.6.0, as well as following...)
    Zookeeper 3.4.5
    Pig 0.11.1
    Hive 0.10.0
    Sqoop 2
    Oozie 3.3.2
    Whirr 0.8.1
    Mahout 0.7
    Flume 1.3.1
    Giraph 0.2.0
    Hue 2.2.0
    Datafu 0.0.6
    Solr 4.2.1
    Crunch 0.5.0
    Tomcat 6.0.36
    Spark 0.7.3    (it has been in the queue for a long time)

Also, I'd suggest to keep the same set of OSes as last time:

    CentOS/RHEL5
    CentOS/RHEL6
    SLES11
    Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)
    Fedora 18
    OpenSUSE 12.3
    Ubuntu 12.10

To reiterate, with a known stable version of the stack we can safely focus on
the improvements to the framework and the overall system usability.

Please jump on the discussion  Also, I have opened up the following JIRA to
track the BOM update https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1023

Thanks,
  Cos

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On that note I would be happy to add OpenJDK7 into the mix.
Debian addition looks reasonable. And I'd look for Peter Linnell's input on
SUSE side.

I am not familiar with the scope of the updates in Hue, Whirr, nor Flume. So,
if someone can chime in on the impact of these updates it will be great!

As for Parquet: this seems like an early stage non-Apache project, hence I
would be hesitant to bring it into the stabilization release. But as always -
this should be a community decision.

Cos

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 07/09/2013 10:40 AM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> Bruno,
>
> just to clarify my stance of 'stability': it is more about stability of the
> Bigtop as a framework than a stability of the stack.
>
> I am not sure we have resources to do maintenance releases at this point. May
> be it is just me.
>
> Cos

Just to confirm we are on the same page:
Do you mean "stability of the Bigtop as a framework" as in the stability
of the APIs of its components?

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Posted by Peter Linnell <pl...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:40:43 -0700
Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> Bruno,
>
> just to clarify my stance of 'stability': it is more about stability
> of the Bigtop as a framework than a stability of the stack.
>
> I am not sure we have resources to do maintenance releases at this
> point. May be it is just me.
>
> Cos
>
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:10AM, Bruno MahИ wrote:
> > On 07/09/2013 09:47 AM, Sean Mackrory wrote:
> >> Without wanting to detract from the spirit of focussing on system
> >> stability, I'd like to suggest a few changes I think it's time we
> >> at least discuss seriously:
> >>
> >> JDKs: I've seen a lot of people ask about JDK 7. Perhaps time to
> >> add support for Oracle JDK 7? It's working pretty well in my
> >> experience, and although it's less tested upstream, the only JDK
> >> we officially support is officially EOL, so we're not exactly in a
> >> good position now IMO.
> >>
> >> Debian 7 has also been out for a while, and I think we should do
> >> at least one release on it. It's likely very little work but I
> >> think there's value in certifying the stack will work well there.
> >> (On the topic of OS's - are we specifically talking SP3 of SLES
> >> 11?). I don't feel strongly on this, but I'm just curious if
> >> there's a reason you're suggesting staying with 12.10 and not
> >> 13.04 - other than wanting less change in this release? Again, I
> >> hardly have an opinion on that one.
> >>
> >> Other components that have recently had releases that I don't
> >> consider to impact the
> >> - Hue 2.4.0
> >> - Whirr 0.8.2
> >> - Flume 1.4.0
> >>
> >> There's also been a ticket to package Avro for a long time and I'd
> >> like to get to that soon. Perhaps Parquet as well? Although like
> >> Phoenix and DataFu, I would suggest doing just the libraries for
> >> now, not all the CLI tools.
> >>
> >> Again - I don't mean to take away from the focus on stability, but
> >> I also don't think we shouldn't stretch to stay up to date either.
> >>
> >> +1 to everything else as suggested, however.

> >> got a
> >> the

> >> and
> >> warranted).

> >> focus

> > +1 to what Andrew and Sean said.
> > I would also like to add:
> > * I would also like to keep the door open for Apache Gora to come
> > in. Someone is already working on it
> > * Fedora 19 is out and maybe 20 will be out by the time we release
> > 0.7.0
> >
> > With regard to stability, if included all the changes listed so far
> > seem a little bit too much, what about dedicating a 0.6.1 to
> > stability so 0.7.0 can include all the shiny things listed above? A
> > 0.6.1 would enable us to be more strict with the
> > patches/fixes/updates being included as well as signaling a more
> > stable version to users.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Bruno

I suggest we should target SLES 11 Sp3 which is just out.  SP2 will only
have 6 months of official support from now.

As for openSUSE 12.3, yes, with the caveat we need get a reliable AWS
image for Jenkins.  I have started on this, but got sidetracked by real
work TM.

Also, I am in agreement about Java 7. From what I understand the delta
from the Oracle 7 and openJDK 7 is much smaller.

+1 for Phoenix, as well.

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks,
PEter

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Bruno,

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
sure, sounds like a good addition to me.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Well, two rubles would be about $0.07, which is pretty steep.

Don't think 9/22 is a bit too aggressive? Although, it really depends on the
how much we wanna do in this release.

I'd be more comfortable with a bit longer release cycle and focus on the
framework issues as well as updating the stack per BOM.

My 0.6(6) rubles ;)

Cos

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

I have updated BIGTOP-1023 to reflect and reconcile the discussion on this
thread. Please check and chime in if I missed or misrepresented anything.

Thanks,
  Cos

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
I would like to thank the Bigtop community for the job that you are doing. I personally see a great value in integrating all the various Hadoop ecosystem projects under one roof and making sure that they are working with each other. Thank you!

We had discussions about what Sqoop community would like to see in Bigtop distribution on our last Sqoop user meet up. We've agreed there that Sqoop2 is our primary focus and the future of the project. However for the time being Sqoop1 contains far more features (incremental import, various special connectors, ...) and downstream integrations (Avro, Hive, HBase, HCatalog, ...) in comparison with Sqoop2. Thus we as a Sqoop community would prefer for sake of our users to have both major versions available inside the BigTop distribution. Sqoop1 for users who needs all the advance features and Sqoop2 for pushing the future direction to people, so that we can get early feedback and incorporate it into the project. I strongly believe that we as a community do understand that it's just our wish that might not fit into BigTop philosophy of releasing bleeding edge versions, so please do not take this as that we are forcing Bigtop to include both major versions. I believe that Sqoop community will understand if BigTop community decides to include only Sqoop2 for the 0.7 release.

Jarcec

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
As long as someone volunteer to add a sqoop1 package for 0.7.0 or 0.6.1,
I don't have any issue with it.
The only thing I care about is to not go back in versions and to not
break upgrades.
So if commands or path conflicts (sqoop1 vs sqoop2), then sqoop 2 should
take priority.

Thanks,
Bruno

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.
And my apologies for duplicating half my draft :)

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

That is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1016.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
Good to see that it is agreed now.   I would also suggest we revert back to
making Sqoop 1 the default sqoop version - i think we discussed this in the
Sqoop meetup before

Venkat

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
good point, +1 on that.