Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Anders Bengtsson <nd...@yahoo.se> on 2006/12/15 15:48:58 UTC

Re: RE DOCS for embedding pluto including examples? walkthrough perhaps..

M A-2 wrote:

> Essentially, I want to personal certain aspects of a website, i.e. and am
> trying to embed pluto but so far no portals are getting rendered,

Hi,

We're trying to embed Pluto too (to be able to run a CMS inside of a
Portlet).

The only documentation we've found is
http://portals.apache.org/pluto/pluto-container/embed.html
which is comically void of any details:

"Step 1: Implement org.apache.pluto.PortletContainerServices" ... yes, how?

Did you have any luck in getting anything to work?

Re: RE DOCS for embedding pluto including examples? walkthrough perhaps..

Posted by Anders Bengtsson <nd...@yahoo.se>.

David H. DeWolf wrote:

>> What we have is a CMS (Magnolia) that we want to embed in our web site,
>> and
>> the only useful API the CMS provides for that is the Portlet API.
>> Essentially we're just trying to get a single Portlet to render in a
>> legacy
>> JSP page (i.e. no option to use a special Servlet or anything).
>
> Gotcha, that should definitely be a piece of cake, and since it
> obviously hasn't been for you, we need to do some documentation (as a
> side note, you may want to consider using a servlet instead of a jsp to
> perform the actual integration).  You definitely don't need the portal
> driver for this type of functionality.
>
> This is great feedback.  I'll try to put together a tutorial over the
> weekend which details how to do this.  Would you be willing to review it
> and provide some enhancements based on your experiences?

Sure, that would be great!

/A

Re: RE DOCS for embedding pluto including examples? walkthrough perhaps..

Posted by Vackar <v....@dundee.ac.uk>.
Also forgot to ask, so you know which libraries are needed for this to work?

Posted by Vackar <v....@dundee.ac.uk>.
Thanks Ben,

But i'm still unsure about what is the definition of the portal ID is. Is it
the context + portlet name?

Thanks,
Vackar

Posted by be...@netsos.com.

Posted by Vackar <v....@dundee.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
BTW, this will be in the upcoming 1.1.3 release as well as future 1.2.x
releases.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
Sorry, my wife kindly reminded me that it was the holidays and I should
spend time with her and the kidos over the weekends --

I've set aside time tomorrow to get to some.  Sorry for the delay.

David

Posted by Anders Bengtsson <nd...@yahoo.se>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Anders Bengtsson wrote:

> David H. DeWolf wrote:
>> What details are you looking for?  Each of these services needs to be
>> implemented in an application  specific means.  If you really don't have
>> any idea where to start, then you probably don't need a custom solution
>> and you should probably be using the pluto portal driver instead of
>> embedding the container directly.
>>
>> Where are you stuck?  Have you considered using the driver's
>> implementation?
>>

> Hi David,
>
> Actually, it *is* the Pluto Portal Driver we're trying to use. But we can't
> find any documentation on how to use it. There's the API JavaDocs and a big
> heap of configuration property files, but that seems to be it.

Really? There should only be 2 configuration files.  Which ones are you
referring to?

> I think what we want is to be able to bootstrap the container from java
> code, with a minimum of configuration files, etc.

If you want to bootstrap the container, then you're probably not using
the driver.  The driver does the bootstrapping for you. . . can you
explain more?

If you want to bootstrap, you need to create the container yourself.
You can either use the container factory for that or you can use an IoC
container to glue it together. The biggest task you'll undertake is
implementing the services which the container needs to execute.  This
primarily includes giving the container a way to create urls in a way
that your application can understand.

Posted by Anders Bengtsson <nd...@yahoo.se>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anders Bengtsson <nd...@yahoo.se>.

Posted by "Nathaniel A. Johnson" <na...@indiana.edu>.
Anders Bengtsson wrote:

> M A-2 wrote:
>> Essentially, I want to personal certain aspects of a website, i.e. and am
>> trying to embed pluto but so far no portals are getting rendered,
>>

> Hi,
>
> We're trying to embed Pluto too (to be able to run a CMS inside of a
> Portlet).
>
> The only documentation we've found is
> http://portals.apache.org/pluto/pluto-container/embed.html
> which is comically void of any details:
>
> "Step 1: Implement org.apache.pluto.PortletContainerServices" ... yes, how?
>
> Did you have any luck in getting anything to work?

Have a look at this article:
http://www.developer.com/java/web/article.php/3563411

-Nate