Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> on 2020/06/06 08:59:40 UTC

Re: "Runtime Platform" in (Ant) project properties

Thomas Kellerer schrieb am 29.05.2020 um 09:52:
> What is the intended use of the "Runtime Platform" drop down in the project properties of an Ant project?
>
> The only option it shows is "Project Platform", even though I have multiple JDKs configured in the IDE.
> The "Manage Platforms" button next to the dropdown simply takes me to the "Java Platform Manager" where I can see the JDKs that I have configured.
>
> What I would like to achieve is to compile & build with JDK 8, but run with JDK 11.
>
> Do I need to register the JDK in a special way so that it shows up in the dropdown?
>
> I am using NetBeans 12.0beta6 (but 11.3 behaves the same way)

Can anyone shed a light on what the dropdown is for?

Re: "Runtime Platform" in (Ant) project properties

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
This sounds like an easy 'first-issue' for new contributors. I wanted
to quickly create one issue on GitHub but then I saw we have JIRA and
I don't know my login there...

Just commenting that block would be fine I think. The only problem is
make sure the layout doesn't get messed up due to that.

--emi

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Yup. Or extended to provide what it should be providing, the possibility of
setting runtime platforms.

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 07:27, Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> wrote:

> > I.e., why do you want to compile & build with JDK 8 and run with JDK 11?
>
> e.g. because I still need to support Java 8, but also want to test Java 11.

Makes perfect sense to me.  eg. I have the IDE sources set up to do
exactly this.  I haven't used Ant support for anything non-IDE / RCP
related for a long time.  Do the standard Ant build scripts even have
a property similar to tryme.jdkhome?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: "Runtime Platform" in (Ant) project properties

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
> I.e., why do you want to compile & build with JDK 8 and run with JDK 11?

e.g. because I still need to support Java 8, but also want to test Java 11. Sometimes Swing behaves differently between the two, and it would be convenient if I could run the application using Java 11 from within NetBeans without the need to switch the whole project to a different Java Platform before doing so.

Additionally, e.g. the Microsoft JDBC drivers are very picky about the JDK. A driver intended for Java 8 will refuse to load when running on Java 11 (and obviously vice versa). So again I have to change the whole project to a different platform, or swap out the driver depending on how I start my application.

Thomas

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.