Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/30 13:23:21 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1780907 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/core.xml

Hi Luca,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 1:57 PM,  <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: elukey
> Date: Mon Jan 30 12:57:00 2017
> New Revision: 1780907

> Log:
> Add more info about the role of Timeout for mod_cgi
>
> PR 60404 asks if the Timeout directive is related to
> the amount of time to wait for the entire CGI script's
> output or only the first byte received.
> Checking in mod_cgi.c -> cgi_bucket_read shows a
> apr_pollset_poll that should support the latter.

Timeout for the first byte indeed, but more generally for each chunk
of the response until the end of stream (should the response be sent
in multiple/successive pieces of data).
Actually this is an incomplete response inactivity timeout.

Regards,
Yann.

Re: svn commit: r1780907 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/core.xml

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > my 2c:
> >
> > "In mod_cgi (and mod_cgid), the length of time to wait for any
> > individual block of output from a CGI script."
>
> +1 :)

+1, will ask in the PR a feedback as well but it looks simple and complete.

Thanks!

Luca

Re: svn commit: r1780907 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/core.xml

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yann!

> Hi Luca,
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 1:57 PM,  <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Author: elukey
> > Date: Mon Jan 30 12:57:00 2017
> > New Revision: 1780907

> > Log:
> > Add more info about the role of Timeout for mod_cgi
> >
> > PR 60404 asks if the Timeout directive is related to
> > the amount of time to wait for the entire CGI script's
> > output or only the first byte received.
> > Checking in mod_cgi.c -> cgi_bucket_read shows a
> > apr_pollset_poll that should support the latter.
>
> Timeout for the first byte indeed, but more generally for each chunk
> of the response until the end of stream (should the response be sent
> in multiple/successive pieces of data).
> Actually this is an incomplete response inactivity timeout.

Yes it makes sense, what about the following description:

" ..the length of time to wait for any sign of activity from the CGI
script, like the first byte of the output or any block of bytes emitted by
the CGI script."

Any better? As far as I understand the same will be applied to
mod_proxy_fcgi too (if ProxyTimeout is not set).

Thanks!

Luca