Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Christian Niles <ch...@unit12.net> on 2003/06/06 21:35:11 UTC

DAV:responsedescription element

Hi,
I got a copy of Slide from CVS this morning to use the webdav client
library in a project I'm working on, and I noticed that neither the
Property or ResponseEntity classes (both in the org.apache.webdav.lib
package) exposed the DAV:responsedescription element from
DAV:multistatus responses. Is this on purpose? I searched through the
mailing list archives and found some code within the server that
mentions sending the element when a DeltaV precondition fails, but
nothing in the client library for inspecting it.

Also, The DTD for RFC 2518 notes it as optional and containing PCDATA
within the DAV:multistatus, DAV:response, and DAV:propstat elements,
but a check of the DeltaV spec states that it should contain a
DAV:error element when a precondition fails; which is contradictory of
course. Is this the reason for its absence? Has anyone ever mentioned
it on a webdav list? A google search didn't turn anything up for me.

I've added a getResponseDescription() method to my copies of the
Property and Response interfaces and written an implementation. I can
send them to someone if they'd be helpful. It currently adheres to 2518
though, and returns a String.

best,
christian.