Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Mark van Reijn <mv...@idfocus.nl> on 2014/12/01 09:51:43 UTC

[Studio] New value editors developed

Hi all,

Directory Studio is becoming an invaluable tool for most LDAP administrators that I work with.
In the recent past I have looked at extending Studio to include value editors for certain attributes specific to Novell / NetIQ eDirectory.

From the source plus the information contained in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSTUDIO/Value+Editor+Extension+Point I was able to construct a set of editors, most importantly for ACLs and the eDirectory "Path” syntax.

Lately I have been looking at ways to distribute these extensions, through my own ”Extension location”. This does not seem to function properly and the only way I have been able to successfully add my own extensions to Studio is to simply copy the jar over to the ”plugins” directory.

My question is: does the extension location feature work at all?
If so, I would appreciate to get some help on using it. If not, then how can I contribute my extensions to the main Studio development branch?

Regards,

Mark

Mark van Reijn

I  D  F  o  c  u  s   b.v.
Empowering Identity

E:  mvreijn@idfocus.nl
T:  +31 6 4170 7287
W:  www.idfocus.nl

Re: [Studio] New value editors developed

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 02/12/14 15:57, Mark van Reijn a écrit :
> Hello Emmanuel,
>
> I can answer your questions right away
>
>> <legal and practical aspects>
>> That raises at least two questions though :
>> - Who will maintain the code ?
>> - Is the code ready for a donation ?
>>
>> The second question is fairly easy to deal with : if Mark is the unique
>> author of this code, then a donation to Apache can be done easily. There
>> is only one thing that needs to be checked : are those extensions
>> developped during Mark's day job ? (ie, was he paid to develop those
>> extensions ?) In this case, I think we need an agreement from his
>> company too. But that is just paperwork...
>
> I am the sole author of this code, and I am co-owner of my company.
> This solves two issues in one go ;-)

We will still need a CCLA (Corporate Contributor License Agreement) in
this very case, just because you have a co-owner ;-)

Seriously, not a show stopper, by far.

>> Regarding the code maintenance, this is more a concern. There are 3 use
>> cases here :
>> - the code is simple, and we can absorb the load
>> - the code is complex, or very specific, and requires some deep
>> eDirectory knowledge, but Mark can be made a committer easily, assuming
>> Mark wants to assume the maintenanc (and why not helping us in other
>> peices of the code ;-)
>> - Mark just want to donate the code, we have nobody to maintain it.
>
> I would not mind to maintain this code. Attribute syntaxes rarely change, and the eDirectory / IdM knowledge is part of my daily work.
> Also, I am thinking about an enhancement to the main code with regards to DN resolving using F3. That would be easier to research and test as a committer.

Atm, I would suggest you create a JIRA, associate the code you want to
propose to it. Same for the DN resolving.

Re: [Studio] New value editors developed

Posted by Mark van Reijn <mv...@idfocus.nl>.
Hello Emmanuel,

I can answer your questions right away

> <legal and practical aspects>
> That raises at least two questions though :
> - Who will maintain the code ?
> - Is the code ready for a donation ?
>
> The second question is fairly easy to deal with : if Mark is the unique
> author of this code, then a donation to Apache can be done easily. There
> is only one thing that needs to be checked : are those extensions
> developped during Mark's day job ? (ie, was he paid to develop those
> extensions ?) In this case, I think we need an agreement from his
> company too. But that is just paperwork...

I am the sole author of this code, and I am co-owner of my company.
This solves two issues in one go ;-)

> Regarding the code maintenance, this is more a concern. There are 3 use
> cases here :
> - the code is simple, and we can absorb the load
> - the code is complex, or very specific, and requires some deep
> eDirectory knowledge, but Mark can be made a committer easily, assuming
> Mark wants to assume the maintenanc (and why not helping us in other
> peices of the code ;-)
> - Mark just want to donate the code, we have nobody to maintain it.

I would not mind to maintain this code. Attribute syntaxes rarely change, and the eDirectory / IdM knowledge is part of my daily work.
Also, I am thinking about an enhancement to the main code with regards to DN resolving using F3. That would be easier to research and test as a committer.

> We would like to see people extending Studio teh way they like, even if
> it's with proprietary extensions (but it's always better if it's Open
> Source, of course !). We should discuss the course of actions in tjis
> very case.

My code may be made open source. However, being able to expose extensions using an update site (open source or not) does allow small businesses like mine some exposure which would be a nice benefit.
Besides, in the short term, people using current or older versions may be able to use (and test) the extensions already.

What would be the next step for me to share my code?
Regards,

Mark

Mark van Reijn

I  D  F  o  c  u  s   b.v.
Empowering Identity

E:  mvreijn@idfocus.nl
T:  +31 6 4170 7287
W:  www.idfocus.nl

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 02/12/14 09:04, Mark van Reijn a écrit :
> Hi Stefan,

Hi Mark, Stefan,

Posted by Mark van Reijn <mv...@idfocus.nl>.
Hi Stefan,