Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2021/03/13 02:34:27 UTC

Moving past JDK 1.8

Hi dev@,
Does anyone have any opinions about moving past JDK1.8?
Maybe JDK1.8 --> JDK11 LTS?

From what I can see the following files need updated

	modified:   .github/workflows/master-build.yml
	modified:   default.properties
	modified:   ivy/mvn.template

We would also update the Jenkins job configuration(s).

Thanks for any thoughts.
Best
Lewis

Re: Moving past JDK 1.8

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

maybe it's still too early to leave Java 8 behind.

Hadoop 3.3 supports JDK 11 as runtime, lower versions do not:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+Java+Versions
   https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.3.0/index.html

It might take some time until most users have upgraded, esp. because Hadoop
versions based on JDK 7 or 8 are still maintained.

It's good if Nutch compiles and runs on JDK 11 but we should take care that
this is also the case using Java 8.

Best,
Sebastian

Re: Moving past JDK 1.8