Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Paul Cachia <ca...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/01 20:08:32 UTC

How do I unistall this programme?

I have been using Open Office for some time now but it has suddenly developed an error this morning and it is putting up a flash screen on my monitor that is asking me to "restore windows". I have tried to restore but nothing happens and the flash screen stays open. and I can't open .doc files any longer. I get a blank sheet. It seems to be trying to restore the file for some reason. I tried quitting and restarting the programme and my computer (iMac running Lion) but nothing cures this problem. The "Writer" is now unusable and I have a permanent flash screen on my desktop if I try using "writer". I tried downloading the latest version from the website but that doesn't fix the problem. I have to get rid of Open Office. How do I do a complete uninstall to make sure all its files have been removed? I have looked through the Contents folder in the Applications folder on my iMac but I don't see an unistall item. Do I just dump the Open Office application folder? Does that remove all the files associated with this programme?

Thanks,

Paul Cachia
Edmonton Alberta
Canada

780 428 4992
cachiap@gmail.com

Re: Fwd: How do I unistall this programme?

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-03-01 2:47 PM  Paul Cachia wrote:
> This restore window splash screen is now impossible to get rid of and persists until I force
> quit Open Office. I can no longer Quit Open Office, I have to Force Quit the application and
> only then does this splash screen resolve. Something has happened to the Open Office
> programme that recurs even if I trash the application and its preferences files and reload
> the latest update from you site. This problem occurred today about two hours ago. I have been
> using this programme of several years on this iMac and have never had a problem even after I
> upgraded to Lion about a year ago.

See this thread on the community forum:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45936&p=212231&hilit=restore+window#p212236

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Fwd: How do I unistall this programme?

Posted by Paul Cachia <de...@shaw.ca>.
Here are some screen shots that describe the problem

This restore window splash screen is now impossible to get rid of and persists until I force quit Open Office. I can no longer Quit Open Office, I have to Force Quit the application and only then does this splash screen resolve. Something has happened to the Open Office programme that recurs even if I trash the application and its preferences files and reload the latest update from you site. This problem occurred today about two hours ago. I have been using this programme of several years on this iMac and have never had a problem even after I upgraded to Lion about a year ago.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Paul Cachia <ca...@gmail.com>
> Subject: How do I unistall this programme?
> Date: 1 March, 2012 12:08:32 PM MST
> To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
>
> I have been using Open Office for some time now but it has suddenly developed an error this morning and it is putting up a flash screen on my monitor that is asking me to "restore windows". I have tried to restore but nothing happens and the flash screen stays open. and I can't open .doc files any longer. I get a blank sheet. It seems to be trying to restore the file for some reason. I tried quitting and restarting the programme and my computer (iMac running Lion) but nothing cures this problem. The "Writer" is now unusable and I have a permanent flash screen on my desktop if I try using "writer". I tried downloading the latest version from the website but that doesn't fix the problem. I have to get rid of Open Office. How do I do a complete uninstall to make sure all its files have been removed? I have looked through the Contents folder in the Applications folder on my iMac but I don't see an unistall item. Do I just dump the Open Office application folder? Does that remove all the files associated with this programme?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Cachia
> Edmonton Alberta
> Canada
>
> 780 428 4992
> cachiap@gmail.com

Paul Cachia
Debolt Data Depository
PO Box 35046
10818 Jasper Ave
Edmonton, AB
T5J 0B7
deboltdata@shaw.ca
780 428 4992

Re: How do I unistall this programme?

Posted by NookGuy <no...@comcast.net>.
Did you do any recent upgrades or updates?
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Close all OO processes (including the quick starter) and delete the file mentioned in this post:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46233&p=213594#p213594

Posted by Stackpole John D <js...@alum.mit.edu>.
I have used a Mac app called CleanApp  <<  http://www.syniumsoftware.com/cleanapp/  >>  (now at Ver. 3.4.10 (22) ) which appears to root around in your system and find all (? - I have no way of knowing, actually, but it finds a lot of files, fer sher) related files and then offers you the option of deleting as many (or few) as you wish.  With a warning system that suggests which ones you should and shouldn't delete.

Caveat:  I have not tried it on OpenOffice, except to "analyze" the code.  Careful!  Be sure to uncheck your data files, since CleanApp presents them to you as related to OpenOffice as possible candidates for deletion.

John D Stackpole, CPP, PRP
OEO, Parliamentary Services
11 Battersea Lane
Fort Washington, MD 20744-7203