Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Oil Pine <oi...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/22 05:28:10 UTC

[users@httpd] ServerRoot/manual/

Hello,

I've just installed Fedora Core 3 and begun to configure Apache2. I am
reading the config file that was installed by FC3. I have difficulty
understanding the following instruction. I understand I can simply
comment this out, but I want to know what it means before I dismiss it.

The manual was installed in /var/www/manual/. Why should this be changed
to ServerRoot/manual/?

I do get a warning message that must be related to this directive.

[root@host pine]# apachectl -t
[Fri Oct 21 21:44:20 2005] [warn] The Alias directive
in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 474 will probably never match
because it overlaps an earlier AliasMatch.
Syntax OK
part of httpd.conf
#
# This should be changed to the ServerRoot/manual/.  The alias provides
# the manual, even if you choose to move your DocumentRoot.  You may comment
# this out if you do not care for the documentation.
#
Alias /manual/ "/var/www/manual/"

Re: [users@httpd] ServerRoot/manual/

Posted by Oil Pine <oi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 15:16 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 10/21/05, Oil Pine <oi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just installed Fedora Core 3 and begun to configure Apache2. I am
> > reading the config file that was installed by FC3. I have difficulty
> > understanding the following instruction. I understand I can simply
> > comment this out, but I want to know what it means before I dismiss it.
> >
> > The manual was installed in /var/www/manual/. Why should this be changed
> > to ServerRoot/manual/?
> >
> > I do get a warning message that must be related to this directive.

> > [root@host pine]# apachectl -t
> > [Fri Oct 21 21:44:20 2005] [warn] The Alias directive
> > in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 474 will probably never match
> > because it overlaps an earlier AliasMatch.
> > Syntax OK
> > part of httpd.conf
> > #
> > # This should be changed to the ServerRoot/manual/.  The alias provides
> > # the manual, even if you choose to move your DocumentRoot.  You may comment
> > # this out if you do not care for the documentation.
> > #
> > Alias /manual/ "/var/www/manual/"
>
> You don't need to change it.  If you look at your config, you'll
> probably find that ServerRoot is set to /var/www.  So you aren't
> supposed to litterally put "ServerRoot", but rather the value of the
> ServerRoot directive.
>
> The log message means you have another Alias in your config that
> starts with /manual/ and it conflicts with this one.
>
> Joshua.

ServerRoot is /etc/httpd. That is why I asked the question.

The second part of my question had been resolved by another source of
info. There is a conf file for the
manual, /etc/httpd/conf.d/manual.conf.

Thank you for your input.

pine