Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> on 2015/03/13 16:32:03 UTC

Jira role cleanup

FYI, some time next week I'm going to try to simplify our jira role list.
When I go to add new contributors it takes forever, I'm guessing because of
the list size.

I think I can trim it down some by making sure folks who are committers are
in the committer list and not the contributor list. AFAICT, our jira is set
to allow committers to do a proper superset of what contributors can do.

Some folks are already listed in both. I'll send a summary email warning
about what new powers folks have if there is anyone who's currently only in
the contributor list.

--
Sean

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. Beyond that I agree that we should limit this to a known set of people
(the contributors).
+1

bq. Maybe discuss this briefly at the next PMC meeting
+1 too.

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Okay, it sounds like there's decent consensus. How much of this cleanup can
I take care of before the PMC meets?

Everyone fine if I do the earlier pruning we talked about and look into the
"anyone is assignable" bit?

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > I think Jira management should be left to the committers. One can pretty
> much mess up a release, and make it hard to account for what's in and
> what's not when jiras are changed the around (the ultimate truth can be
> reconstructed from the git commit records, but that's tedious).
>
> I agree we should avoid allowing contributors to change JIRA metadata if
> this is possible to restrict. Our commit log conventions aren't universally
> followed, due to human error, so they are not all tagged with issue
> identifiers, or the correct identifier.

I'm conflicted on this bit. Incrementally giving people more responsibility
is our best path to good decisions wrt new committers. I think it makes
sense to not give every new contributor the ability to set fix versions. On
the other hand, I'm sure there will be folks that I trust to accurately set
that metadata before they become committers.  And what about folks who
contribute by helping to clean up said jira metadata?

When y'all discuss this, could someone please advocate a middle ground
where we no longer default to all contributors get metadata edit rights,
but we maintain a jira role that can be granted at the discretion of
existing jira admins (or commiters, or PMC or whatever y'all are
comfortable with)?

--
Sean

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > bq. Our commit log conventions aren't universally followed, due to human
> > error
> >
> > Going forward, I think we can alleviate this issue with a git hook and a
> > regexp.
> >

> That's a good idea.

FYI, ASF Infra doesn't allow custom server side git hooks[1] and I couldn't
find anything that does message enforcement casually checking in the asf
git hooks[2].

It looks like Apache Cloudstack has some client side hooks they recommend
for committers that do commit message enforcement[3]. We could use
something similar.

[1]: http://www.apache.org/dev/writable-git (last bullet)
[2]: http://s.apache.org/qxT
[3]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git#Git-CommitMessages

--
Sean

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> bq. Our commit log conventions aren't universally followed, due to human
> error
>
> Going forward, I think we can alleviate this issue with a git hook and a
> regexp.

That's a good idea.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Hmm... This is interesting. I think Jira management should be left to the committers. One can pretty much mess up a release, and make it hard to account for what's in and what's not when jiras are changed the around (the ultimate truth can be reconstructed from the git commit records, but that's tedious).
Minimally somebody needs to be able to assign a jira to the person providing the patch, if those are committers only that's tedious but OK - we've been doing that anyway.Ideally the person could assign an _open_ issue to him/herself and log work against an issue and change the due data. Those seem abilities we could grant to everybody as long as they are limited to open issues.
Beyond that I agree that we should limit this to a known set of people (the contributors). Maybe discuss this briefly at the next PMC meeting, we're due to have one anyway. I'm willing to host one at Salesforce.

-- Lars

--
Sean

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean

Re: Jira role cleanup

Re: Jira role cleanup

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
I was advocating a more formal "Contributor" role before, so that we can recognize folks for contributing, without making them committers right away.So I'm in favor of this!

-- Lars
How about I make a saved jira query for people who have had jira's assigned
​> ​
to them, add a link to that query for our "here are the contributors"
​> ​
section, and then trim off from the role anyone who hasn't been assigned an
​> ​
issue in the last year?

That sounds like a very fair proposition. The JIRA role list isn't public I
think, but just in case. Anyway, there's every reason to call out our
contributors publicly and offer acknowledgement as thanks.

--
Best regards,

  - Andy

(via Tom White)