Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Scott Inglis <ms...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/24 00:26:35 UTC

REEF Version Format

Hello,

Can someone explain how the versioning works with REEF?

For example, we have a release come out like 0.16.0. If there are any
updates, it looks like we use SNAPSHOT to track these changes, but it looks
like we don't change the first and last numbers.

Questions about this:
1) What is the official format of our version number? And what is the
purpose of the SNAPSHOT value?
2) Is the transition between these releases considered a major release?
i.e. is 0.15.0 to 0.16.0 a major release?
3) Do we plan on or have we ever used the last number in the version
format? When is this value changed?

Thanks,

Scott

Re: REEF Version Format

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

1) SNAPSHOT represents the current master branch version.
2) Yes. It's a major release that doesn't break APIs.
If we need to break APIs, that involves the highest number change. E.g.,
0.x.x -> 1.x.x
3) It's for maintenance releases. For example, we had 0.15.1 right after
0.15.0 to fix important bugs.

Best,
Gon

--