Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mieke Banderas <mi...@gamebox.net> on 2005/05/13 10:24:59 UTC

first request gives "not available"

I'm not sure if this is a Java/Tomcat problem or an OS problem, but maybe
you guys have any idea how to address the problem.

I have "pmset -g live" showing for my server
Currently in use:
 sleep          0
 autorestart    1
 spindown       0
 dim            30

So my Beige G3 with Mac OS X Server 10.2.6 never sleeps and don't spin
down, yet the first request of the day to the server quite often renders
a "not available" response. After that any connection will work.
Does this ring a bell? Could it be a Tomcat problem somehow. How can I
verify the Tomcat processes aren't sleeping or that it is a router or
other problem?
The Tomcat 3 that came with the OS, ran as  standalone, is my current
webserver. I'll probably upgrade to 5.x when I have my first Webwork made
site ready, but except for this small problem it does the job well for
now. I don't want to rock the boat too much.

Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this type of problem?