Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Tony Stevenson <pc...@apache.org> on 2007/08/09 13:24:15 UTC

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Ok,

First of all I am not on your case, but I was concerned that this would
lead to a flame war on the wiki again through the edit comments.  The
reason I removed the links is because your last account was banned and
deleted.

However, let me apologise for jumping the gun this morning, I was rather
hoping to prevent either others doing what I had done, but in a rather
more inflammatory way, or to prevent a flame war.  It would seem that
the inverse has happened.

So if you want to re-add your links, I will happily revert my change, so
other people within the docs community, and/or the HTTPD community as a
whole can decide whether to allow or not allow those links.  Because if
I recall correctly the consensus was that parts of the material on
AskApache.com was misleading or confusing at best. I am unsure if time
may have changed those opinions, but I am happy to see what happens.

be reached, hopefully with everyones best interests intact.

We would be very happy for you ton contribute to the wiki, but you have
to accept that these will be reviewed by your peers, and may well be
edited.  Your htaccess material in the past has not conformed to what is
considered to be best practice methods and if they are published on the
wiki they may well be altered.

Regards,
Tony

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.
We do not allow anyone to use the Apache name in a way that might
lead to confusion of consumers (i.e., directly associating with
our project, as opposed to any of the other uses of the Apache name).
As such, I will delete any wiki account name containing "Apache" and
any link to an outside site that is trying to associate itself with
our projects by using the Apache name without prior written permission.

That fact is independent of any other discussion about whether a
specific individual can edit our wiki.

....Roy T. Fielding  (speaking with hat of V.P., Apache HTTP Server)

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.
> That was the plan, First I wanted to create a user page for myself so that
> there wouldn't be any confusion as to who MrApache was.  I still would like
> to know where it says we aren't allowed to link to our homepages on our
> userpages.   Anyway so just a couple hours after I created my mrapache user
> page it was jumped all over and erased.  MY plan was to just start quietly
> contributing to the wiki and never post external links to any site ever.

Being fair to Vincent, you haven't got the best track record in this
community. He made a mistake jumping on you so quickly, but it's an
understandable mistake. He's apologised for it, now let's move on.

> The point is apache is open source and open to all, and wiki's were made so
> that many people could collaborate.  It doesn't have to be 100% perfect the
> first time every time, thats why there are editing/reverting/history/etc..
> features..

Apache *is* open source - but our community, and contributions, are a
meritocracy. You do good work under supervision, and build up trust,
before you're allowed just throw in your 2c without having someone
else check it over first.

You lost our trust a while back - by using a WikiName that could be
misleading, and by posting links to content we felt wasn't great, in a
way that we couldn't alter/improve the content.

Joshua asked you to do a couple of things - http://url.ie/520
If you're really interested in collaborating, please can you start with those?
If you've already mailed the list with a summary of the wiki
guidelines, and confirmation that you understand and will abide by
them, please just point us to the relevant mail in the mail archives.
I know you've changed your userID, but your new one doesn't actually
address the issue raised (you also neglected to let us know in advance
what userID you were planning on using) - so it would be helpful to
building trust and community if you could do as Joshua has asked.

The Apache Software Foundation is built on community before code - so
if you're not willing to work with our community, it doesn't matter if
your technical contributions are absolutely world class, you don't
earn merit here.

Looking forward to a positive response,
Noirin

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Posted by Webmaster <we...@askapache.com>.

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 13/08/07, Webmaster <we...@askapache.com> wrote:
> noodl,
>
> Your comments (below) and edits to my userpages
> (http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/AskApache
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/MrApache)
> are pointedly innappropriate and frankly very mean-spirited! I thought that

Yes, I regret the tone of that email I sent you in private.

> we were allowed to link to our homepages (http://www.askapache.com
> http://www.htaccesselite.com) on our user pages, as I notice most
> contributors do.  I want to and am allowed to contribute to the httpd wiki
> and I have something to contribute.  Besides your suggestion that I leave
> forever as I'm not wanted, do you or anyone else have a suggestion as to how
> I can participate on the wiki?

There you go again, not understanding the meaning of 'banned'.

It is very clear that your only interest in our wiki is increasing
traffic to your own site. The fact is that your site is dedicated to
making money through spurious 'SEO' practices. You have been banned
from wikipedia, here, and have caused a fuss on your own service
provider's wiki (DreamHost) by attempting further self-promotion.

If you'd made an attempt to provide some useful information on our
wiki this time rather than ignoring guidelines by reverting the
deletion of your link farm I might have reacted differently.

So I'll repeat what I said in private. I don't think you should be
allowed to make edits to our wiki. If you really have something useful
to add, then please post it to this list first for consideration.

--
noodl

RE: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by Webmaster <we...@askapache.com>.
noodl,

Your comments (below) and edits to my userpages (
<http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/AskApache>
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/AskApache
<http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/MrApache>
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/MrApache) are pointedly innappropriate and
frankly very mean-spirited! I thought that we were allowed to link to our
homepages ( <http://www.askapache.com/> http://www.askapache.com
<http://www.htaccesselite.com/> http://www.htaccesselite.com) on our user
pages, as I notice most contributors do.  I want to and am allowed to
contribute to the httpd wiki and I have something to contribute.  Besides
your suggestion that I leave forever as I'm not wanted, do you or anyone
else have a suggestion as to how I can participate on the wiki?

-AskApache

  _____

Posted by Francois Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > > I just realized this morning that my AskApache username was deleted
> > and my
> > > old userpage deleted.  So I viewed the history and copied the code,
> > created
> > > a new user (I plan on contributing to the wiki minus external links),
> > and
> > > got myself up and running.
> > >
> > > Seriously man why are you on my case?  Its a user page and search
> > engines
> > > don't even look at it.  I added a link to my blog and my forum on my
> > user
> > > page, just like everyone else.   Edit my page and I'm taking it to the
> > head
> > > honchos to put a stop to this childishness before you cause another
> > > flamewar.
> > >
> > > I'm just trying to contribute to the wiki and its my userpage with

Francois Gingras
(i): http://ccds.ca
(p): (514) 243-8233
(f): (514) 731-5834

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Aug 9, 2007, at 10:09, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> Taken from http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Contributing
>
> External links are acceptable if they add substantial value, but do
> not link to your own site or otherwise seek private benefits from
> external links.
>
> So I guess thats the policy

The 'add substantial value' thing is intentionally open to
interpretation. We, the documentation team, need to be at liberty to
determine when a particular site offers substantial value, and when
it promotes practices that we believe are a bad idea, are harmful to
security or performance, or are just in opposition to things that we
recommend in the documentation.

For many years, I would contact people who had recommendations on
their website that I considered worst practice - things like "chmod
everything 777", using <Limit GET POST> blocks for authentication,
and the like. After a while I grew weary of this, and hardly ever do
it any more. It's an endless crusade. But we can draw the line at
linking to sites of that kind, and offering implied endorsement of
their recommendations.

I'm far less concerned about the financial gain from these sites,
except when people are adding links to our site for that sole purpose.

--
Speech is conveniently located midway between thought and action,
where it often substitutes for both.

Re: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > > I just realized this morning that my AskApache username was deleted
> > and my
> > > old userpage deleted.  So I viewed the history and copied the code,
> > created
> > > a new user (I plan on contributing to the wiki minus external links),
> > and
> > > got myself up and running.
> > >
> > > Seriously man why are you on my case?  Its a user page and search
> > engines
> > > don't even look at it.  I added a link to my blog and my forum on my
> > user
> > > page, just like everyone else.   Edit my page and I'm taking it to the
> > head
> > > honchos to put a stop to this childishness before you cause another
> > > flamewar.
> > >
> > > I'm just trying to contribute to the wiki and its my userpage with

~Jorge

RE: Your HTTPD wiki page

Posted by Vincent de Lau <vi...@delau.nl>.

Before diving into an already fought discussion...

After the discussion in this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-docs/200705.mbox/%3C46553713.
9040001@rowe-clan.net%3E

the following policy was posted on the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Contributing

Kind regards,

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl