Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu> on 2019/11/23 05:54:05 UTC

Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Dear IPMC:

I am sending this email to let you know that the Apache (incubating) TVM
community started a formal RFC for our first apache release.

Because this is our first ASF release, the community wanted to hold the
release to the highest standard possible, by starting an RFC to ask
everyone to verify the RC before the formal vote.

While we have already gone through the common checklist(such as licenses
and disclaimer), we would love to get help from IPMC members as well, if
possible, to help us check if there is anything that we might be missing.

Please refer to the following thread:

- RFC thread https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/issues/4406
- Mirrored dev@ thread about the same RFC:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a5a4d6e43975809aebab46043d95ecd794a7d9235f078d732ab4e515@%3Cdev.tvm.apache.org%3E

Thank you!
TQ

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
Re LLVM’s license issue. I believe MIT is a safer choice for compiler-rt
before we confirm with ASF.

Because strictly LLVM’s apache license comes with an exemption Clause which
needs to be reviewed. Given that the code is also dual licensed under MIT,
we should take that as a safer choice until we get official position from
the ASF wrt to the exemption

TQ

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

That all sound good to me.

> Although the driver file itself is MIT, because linux kernel driver has a
> policy that open source driver has to be dual licensed to GPL, the driver
> declaration declared the binary module as GPL.

That explains it, and it would be fine to include it. For things that are dual licensed (i.e license A or B rather than containing A and B) you can select the most compatible license. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#mutually-exclusive

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
Thanks Yizhi.

Thanks Justin for super helpful feedbacks! Please let us know if you have
further suggestions. We plan to start a formal vote in a day if things are
OK(of course the rc will be moved to the dist server).

TQ

Posted by YiZhi Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin and Tianqi. RC2 is created with the fixes,
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/releases/tag/v0.6.0.rc2

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 2:52 PM Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu> wrote:

>   On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 2:43 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > The license [3] actually provides three licenses. The legacy section of
> > > the license indicate that the file is also licensed under MIT and
> > > University of Illinois/NCSA.
> >
> > Forgot to say this isn’t a case of dual licensing, in this case all
> > licenses apply to different bits of the code, so you cannot just select the
> > license you want.
> >

> The file we are referring to was licensed under MIT and according to
> https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#legacy it will still be
> available under MIT, as long as we do not pull the updated version of the
> file after they completed the codebase migration.
>
> Thanks,
> > Justin

Yizhi Liu
Bay Area, the United States

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
Thanks Justin, these are super helpful! We will address these problems as
follows, please let us know if you have additional suggestions

- NOTICE is still incorrect

We will change  "2019 and onwards" to  "2019".

- I did notice a directory called "3rdparty/dlpack/apps/from_numpy” is this
> code from numpy?

No the code demonstrate how to convert data from numpy to the dlpack
format, the code is under ALv2 license as indicated by dlpack repo

> - This file [2] has two copyright lines is this correct?

We will fix the problem and keep on copyright file.

> - This license [3] notes some exceptions to the ALv2 license, this might
> be an issue and I suggest you ask on legal discuss if this is OK. I
> wouldn't let this hold up a release.

 The license [3] actually provides three licenses. The legacy section of
the license indicate that the file is also licensed under MIT and
University of Illinois/NCSA.
 We reported the file as MIT license as indicated in the source header. We
also agree to discuss the exemption on ASF legal

cma.c and cma/Makefile

The file belongs to kernel module(which our code base does not depend on)
but can be helpful when user builds a customized version of linux to run
the VTA driver.
Although the driver file itself is MIT, because linux kernel driver has a
policy that open source driver has to be dual licensed to GPL, the driver
declaration declared the binary module as GPL.
After looking it closely we agree that this poses a potential risk, and
will remove the file from the project (we will suggest the community to
host a separate repo for kernel driver plugins).

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes fine
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE looks good
- NOTICE is still incorrect
- No unexpected binary files

Some minor issues/questions:
- I did notice a directory called "3rdparty/dlpack/apps/from_numpy” is this code from numpy?
- This file [1] has an ASF header is this correct?
- This file [2] has two copyright lines is this correct?
- This license [3] notes some exceptions to the ALv2 license, this might be an issue and I suggest you ask on legal discuss if this is OK. I wouldn't let this hold up a release.
- I noticed this line "MODULE_LICENSE("GPL”);” in 4. What's the history of this file?

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
 Thanks Justin for providing helpful feedbacks! and thanks Yizhi for making
the improvement and bringing another RC.
The community did another pass over the licenses and addressed Justin's
note and made a sweep of the codebase to remove all the un-necessary
copyright messages(including those that are not on Justin's list).

The community would like to hold the release to the highest possible
standard in our first release and these feedbacks are super valuable for
us.
It would be great to get further feedbacks from IPMC members to help us to
uphold that standard.

Please refer to the updated RC:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/releases/tag/0.6.0.rc1

Thank you!
TQ

Posted by YiZhi Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Many thanks to your help. We just addressed the issues and created
another [RC](https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/releases/tag/0.6.0.rc1).
Would you mind check whether it is in good shape?

We highly appreciate your patience and guidance.

Thanks,
Yizhi

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 5:25 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Looks for copyrights inside the files, file with ASF header should have no copyright lines.
>
> Well ones donated to the ASF anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Yizhi Liu
Bay Area, the United States

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> for ./3rdparty/compiler-rt/builtin_fp16.h , from
> [here](https://github.com/llvm-mirror/compiler-rt/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT#L240-L241 <https://github.com/llvm-mirror/compiler-rt/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT#L240-L241>)
> it says it was dual licensed under University of Illinois and the MIT
> license, though the current LICENSE file declares ALv2. I believe the
> builtin_fp16.h file was collected before its license be changed to
> ALv2. Shall we say it is ALv2, or MIT?

Both are permissive, I would use what the header says, files licenses can vary from teh package they are in.

> And would you mind advise what was wrong with the following files?
> 6. /nnvm/include/nnvm/op.h  - looks zlib is not used there?
> 7 ./src/schedule/bound.cc <http://bound.cc/>

Looks for copyrights inside the files, file with ASF header should have no copyright lines. If these file contain 3rd party code and that needs to be mentioned in license.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by YiZhi Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

--
Yizhi Liu
Bay Area, the United States

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by YiZhi Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

--
Yizhi Liu
Bay Area, the United States

Re: Help Verify Apache(incubating) TVM Release RC

Posted by YiZhi Liu <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by YiZhi Liu <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
Thanks Justin! This is exactly kind of feedback we are looking for.

The community would like to hold the release to the highest possible
standard, which means we would like to make sure the release meet the
criteria of the standard disclaimer. We will look into the
compatibility issue of LLVM license.

TQ

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.