Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by de...@bloglines.com on 2004/07/06 16:25:33 UTC

Create new Tomcat User mailing lists?

Is there any chance that the Tomcat User mailing list maintainers might split
the Tomcat User mailing list into multiple lists by topic?  This would classify
and partition the mailing list traffic and would allow a user to subscribe
to the topic(s) that interest him or her and ignore those that don't.

As
the Tomcat User mailing list traffic grows, I find it increasingly difficult
to sift through the daily messages for those that I want to read.  I'm also
receiving a lot more mail from this list (and other popular lists like Subversion
User), much of it that I ignore because I don't have the time to read it.
 Multiple mailing lists would help alleviate these problems.

Suggested
mailing list topics:

Installation and Configuration
Performance, Optimization,
and Maintenance
Tomcat 3 Issues
Tomcat 4 Issues
Tomcat 5 Issues
Tomcat
and Apache
Tomcat and Internet Information Server (IIS)
Tomcat and JSP/Servlets

Tomcat on Linux or Unix
Tomcat on Windows

What do you think?

Derek

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Been talked about a few times and voted down.

If there are certain topics which one doesn't like - emial filters can easily
kill them. For example - I once killed all emails that contained IIS in it
because I don't care about IIS.

Mozilla provides decent filtering for placing emails in their appropriate
folder/subfolder. For example:
- tomcat-user goes to one folder
- tomcat-dev goes to another folder
- tomcat-dev cvs commits goes to another folder
- and every other list I belong to has its own sub-folder.

-Tim

Posted by Mike Curwen <g_...@globallyboundless.com>.
It's a good idea, but it has it's problems. As an example:

What about tomcat 4 install problems?  Does it go in Tomcat 4 , or the
install one?

What about tomcat 5 on linux, connecting to IIS on win2k3.  Which list ?

The way I would handle this is to create a client-side mail filter.  If
I were ever to do so, the first one I'd create is "if it contains
mod_jk, jk, or jk2, then send it to the dustbin folder".

If there was a single division I could make in the lists, it would be
that one.

tomcat-user
tomcat-connectors-user