Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> on 2014/06/21 15:22:01 UTC

[HOMEPAGE][PROPOSAL] Alert box on top of webpage to announce important events

Hi all,

a new idea came into my mind:

In the past we had some events where an announcement was helpful. So, we
added some hardcoded text on top to a webpage (e.g., Wiki is down).

To get this done in a more dynamically way I created this:

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_alert.html

The following is be definable:
- A trigger to show the box or not.
- The backgound color for the box.
- The headline text.
- A text part that does not work as a link.
- A text part that works as a link to more information or solution.

At the moment it's just static in this HTML file. But if accepted it
should be the target to place it in a separate file to get it integrated
in other webpages, too.

Opinions?

Marcus

Re: [HOMEPAGE][PROPOSAL] Alert box on top of webpage to announce important events

Posted by Mathias Röllig <mr...@gmx.net>.
Hello Marcus!

> So I assembled my suggestions with your proposal in the attached picture.

Have sent you a PM with the picture.

M.

Re: [HOMEPAGE][PROPOSAL] Alert box on top of webpage to announce important events

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/22/2014 07:13 PM, schrieb Mathias Röllig:
> I like the fresh design of the download page.
>
> So I assembled my suggestions with your proposal in the attached picture.

thanks for the picture by PM.

> 1. Because there are more than one versions of AOO to download, there is
> no version after "I want to download Apache OpenOffice". Instead

Hm, I don't know where you got the screenshot from but on
"www.openoffice.org" there is the most recent version shown.

> 2. The new version alert is placed into the download box.

See #1. Shouldn't be necessary. IMHO also too much text that the user
has to visualize.

> 3. No destroy of the layout by the important message.

Does it really destroy the layout? Seems a question of taste. ;-) I
tried to draw it through the complete page and not only above the menu
but maybe it's better. What do the others think?

> 4. "Click here to see who it is" is now not necessary if there will be a
> hover "»" like in the other boxes.

I don't understand what you want to reach with this. The user has to
click on the link (however it is styled) to get, e.g., more information.

Furthermore, I see the big red exclamation mark. First I also thought
about to show a little graphic. But then it would be always visible -
also when the text is not negative. Then it wouldn't fit and maybe leads
to confusion.

Thanks for you thoughts - even when I fear I haven't understood all of them.

Re: [HOMEPAGE][PROPOSAL] Alert box on top of webpage to announce important events

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/22/2014 05:38 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 21/06/2014 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> a new idea came into my mind:
>> In the past we had some events where an announcement was helpful. So, we
>> added some hardcoded text on top to a webpage (e.g., Wiki is down).
>> To get this done in a more dynamically way I created this:
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_alert.html
>
> Well, that looks much nicer than what we have had so far, including the
> big headline "New: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 released!".

this line has a big advantage that you just have to change one file to
show the text everywhere. I don't want to get rid of this great feature.

Sure, the styling is a different topic.

>> At the moment it's just static in this HTML file. But if accepted it
>> should be the target to place it in a separate file to get it integrated
>> in other webpages, too.
>> Opinions?
>
> If we are to use this space for announcements, it's OK to have it on the
> homepage only.
>
> But, as Ariel once wrote, we could also look into including the
> Bootstrap CSS framework to this aim, since it guarantees cross-browser
> compatibility, it leaves room for customization with plain CSS and it
> comes with a number of pre-defined styles, see for example
> http://getbootstrap.com/css/#helper-classes ; so we could have some
> common functionality out of the box.

Yes. However, any help from external CSS or JavaScript libraries needs
some time to learn and is a thing for rainy weekends. I'll have a look
as I see the advantages also for nice stylings that look the same in
every browser.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 21/06/2014 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> a new idea came into my mind:
> In the past we had some events where an announcement was helpful. So, we
> added some hardcoded text on top to a webpage (e.g., Wiki is down).
> To get this done in a more dynamically way I created this:
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_alert.html

Well, that looks much nicer than what we have had so far, including the
big headline "New: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 released!".

> At the moment it's just static in this HTML file. But if accepted it
> should be the target to place it in a separate file to get it integrated
> in other webpages, too.
> Opinions?

If we are to use this space for announcements, it's OK to have it on the
homepage only.

But, as Ariel once wrote, we could also look into including the
Bootstrap CSS framework to this aim, since it guarantees cross-browser
compatibility, it leaves room for customization with plain CSS and it
comes with a number of pre-defined styles, see for example
http://getbootstrap.com/css/#helper-classes ; so we could have some
common functionality out of the box.

Regards,
   Andrea.