Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com> on 2014/09/16 23:56:38 UTC

backport of CASSANDRA-6916

Hello,

Has anyone backported incremental replacement of compacted SSTables
(CASSANDRA-6916) to 2.0? Is it doable or there are many dependencies
introduced in 2.1?

Haven't checked the ticket detail yet, but just in case anyone has
interesting info to share.

Cheers,

--
*Paulo Motta*

Chaordic | *Platform*
*www.chaordic.com.br <http://www.chaordic.com.br/>*
+55 48 3232.3200

Re: backport of CASSANDRA-6916

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <
> paulo.motta@chaordicsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> We're having sudden peaks on read latency some time after a massive batch
>> write which is mostly likely caused by cold page cache of newly compacted
>> sstables, which will hopefully be solved by this.
>>
> Note that this feature is sorta badly named, it includes flushing of
> SSTables as part of compaction.

Also note that it is removed as of 2.1.

=Rob

Re: backport of CASSANDRA-6916

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <
paulo.motta@chaordicsystems.com> wrote:

> We're having sudden peaks on read latency some time after a massive batch
> write which is mostly likely caused by cold page cache of newly compacted
> sstables, which will hopefully be solved by this.

populate_io_cache_on_flush ?

Note that this feature is sorta badly named, it includes flushing of
SSTables as part of compaction.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4694?focusedCommentId=13723129&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13723129

=Rob

Re: backport of CASSANDRA-6916

Posted by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com>.
Because I want this specific feature, and not all 2.1 features, even though
this is probably one of the most significant changes in 2.1. Upgrading
would be nice, but want to wait a little more before fully jumping into 2.1
:)

Posted by James Briggs <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Paulo:

Posted by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com>.
own purposes but wouldn't mind making it public so people could patch it
themselves if they want too.. (if nobody has already done so) :)

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.