Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Olsen Odd <Od...@volvo.com> on 2001/05/07 08:10:20 UTC

WAP

Hi

When I try to run WML on Tomcat 3.2, I get
  MIME type "text/plain" is not supported

I have put the mime types for WML in /conf/web.xml
as you can see below and is using Nokia WAP Toolkit.

It all worked great when I use Tomcat 3.1 and I can't see
why it shouldn't work on 3.2. What more I can do?

/Odd

<!-- Start WAP extensions -->
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>wml</extension>
        <mime-type>text/vnd.wap.wml</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wbmp
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            image/vnd.wap.wbmp
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wmlc
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            application/vnd.wap.wmlc
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wmls
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            text/vnd.wap.wmlscript
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>
            wmlsc
        </extension>
        <mime-type>
            application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc
        </mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
<!-- End WAP extensions -->
Odd Olsen
Volvo IT
Dept 2540, DA2N
SE-40508 Goteborg, Sweden

Telephone: +46 31 7655718
E-mail: Odd.Olsen@volvo.com

Re: WAP

Posted by Jim Watson <jw...@earthlink.net>.
Arthur,

Thanks very much.  That's got it! - jim

At 10:45 AM 5/8/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi jim,
>first of all do you use Tomact as stand alone or with Apache ?
>if the answer is : Stand Alone
>1) to serve wml (static file), you need to add the mime type to WEB-INF
>directory under your application
>the server.xml (under c:\jakarta-tomcat\conf) should have some thing like
><Context path="" docBase="the root for your application" debug="1"
>reloadable="false" trusted="true"/>
>2) to serve wml (dynamic page with jsp) you need to add the mime type to
>WEB-INF directory under your application
>and put <%@ page contentType="text/vnd.wap.wml" %> on every page
>
>if the answer is : With Apache
>if you want to serve only static wml pages just add the mime types to
>mime.type under Apache
>
>hope this helps
>Arthur

Jim Watson
jwatson@gmu.edu
jwatson209@earthlink.net

Re: WAP

Re: WAP

Posted by Jim Watson <jw...@earthlink.net>.
Arthur,

I am getting a similar error message to Odd.Olsen, but using Tomcat in
conjunction with the UP.Simulator vice Nokia.  I am attempting to get the
UP.Simulator to access .wml files on Tomcat using
http://localhost:8080/<static.wml file>.  I have added the mime-types to
the (in my case) c:\jakarta-tomcat\conf\web.xml file without success
(Odd.Olsen's problem).  Netscape and IE both work fine with my Tomcat
localhost:8080 installation.  This seems to be a special case with respect
to your recommendation to add the mime types to the
yourApplication/web-inf/web.xml file.  I have added the wap mime-types to
the c:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\examples\Web-inf\web.xml file with the same
(error) result.  Can you suggest any fixes in this case?  thanks - jim

At 09:49 AM 5/7/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>there is a bug in tc 3.2,
>you have to put the mime types in the web.xml under your application
>
>yourApplication/web-inf/web.eml
>
>Arthur

Jim Watson
jwatson@gmu.edu