Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/12/17 01:41:29 UTC

submitting patches (Was: FOR-766)

Thanks Paul. Just a few tips about submitting changes.
We will accept updates in any form, however it makes everyone's
life easier if we use patches rather than sending the whole document.

Also sometimes the act of uploading and saving a file can
mangle it (did not in this case).

Anyway, i also tweaked the notes about patches at
http://forrest.apache.org/contrib.html#patch

-David

Re: dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El dom, 18-12-2005 a las 11:56 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
>
>>Paul Bolger wrote:

>>This could link in with the main Glossary. Or perhaps
>>the new Glossary plugin be able to restrict output to
>>certain topics.
>>
>>We always start to invent new tools when we talk about
>>documentation. That Glossary plugin sounds easy, Ross has
>>added the resources but not built a plugin. So if you feel
>>up to following the Howto-buildPlugin then try that.
>>It would teach you heaps about Forrest.
>>

> Actually you could do such glossary stuff with a single contract IMO, no
> need for whole plugin, but David is right I started views as a plugin
> and learned a lot about forrest in general by this.

Do you mean that the filtering of the content could be done with a
contract? If so then I am +1

The Glossary plugin should just convert the input format of our glossary
DTD (and the equivalent in other format such as Latex, OOO MS Wrod etc)
into our internal format, for later presentation by the dispatcher or skins.

Ross

Re: dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El dom, 18-12-2005 a las 11:56 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Paul Bolger wrote:
> > Thanks David, I'll try that next time. I'm intending to write up those
> > css linking rules, if I can work out what the current status is!
>
> > I'm
> > wondering whether a 'views quick reference' page would be appropriate.
>
> Good idea, but call it Dispatcher.

+1

> This could link in with the main Glossary. Or perhaps
> the new Glossary plugin be able to restrict output to
> certain topics.
>
> We always start to invent new tools when we talk about
> documentation. That Glossary plugin sounds easy, Ross has
> added the resources but not built a plugin. So if you feel
> up to following the Howto-buildPlugin then try that.
> It would teach you heaps about Forrest.

Actually you could do such glossary stuff with a single contract IMO, no
need for whole plugin, but David is right I started views as a plugin
and learned a lot about forrest in general by this.

> However, it would be be fine to just start with a simple
> manual document for now and we can extract that info later.

+1

> > Also, I'm finding the 0.8 docs are getting a bit cumbersome: we have
> > 'views development' in the top level index, and dispatcher in the
> > howtos; and 'old views' as well. I think it would be a good idea to
> > standardise on some terminology (and the v1, v2 etc is as good as
> > anything right now). How about we rename 'old views' to v1 and add a
> > v3 section?
>
> It needs a complete cleanup. We need to rationalise
> the current documentation and remove the old documentation
> completely. When we release 0.8 then we will only have
> one implementation of Dispatcher, i.e. current development.

We are very close to be able to release a first implementation of the
dispatcher and 0.8. Actually a general cleanup of all views related
stuff will start very soon (we need to finish updating v2 contracts to
v3, to be able to remove plugin resources)

> So the old v1 and "views" documentation will go away.

+1

> I reckon move the documentation into docs_0_80
> and some of it could move out of the howto into
> normal docs.

Yes, I think we need a introduction document to the dispatcher that will
replace all existing "top-level" documents of views, leather-dev, ...

> -David

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Paul Bolger wrote:
>
>>Thanks David, I'll try that next time. I'm intending to write up those
>>css linking rules, if I can work out what the current status is!
>

>>I'm
>>wondering whether a 'views quick reference' page would be appropriate.
>

> Good idea, but call it Dispatcher.
>
> This could link in with the main Glossary. Or perhaps
> the new Glossary plugin be able to restrict output to
> certain topics.
>
> We always start to invent new tools when we talk about
> documentation. That Glossary plugin sounds easy, Ross has
> added the resources but not built a plugin. So if you feel
> up to following the Howto-buildPlugin then try that.
> It would teach you heaps about Forrest.

Yeah it is easy. To be honest I am leaving it for someone looking for a
"lower" barrier to entry to a major contribution ;-)

Of course, I'm more than happy to answer questions on it and to clarify
what actually needs to be done, just ask.

> However, it would be be fine to just start with a simple
> manual document for now and we can extract that info later.

Or a document that conforms to the Glossary DTD in the plugin, attached
to the issue. That is likely to push me to create the plugin itself ;-)

>>Also, I'm finding the 0.8 docs are getting a bit cumbersome: we have
>>'views development' in the top level index, and dispatcher in the
>>howtos; and 'old views' as well. I think it would be a good idea to
>>standardise on some terminology (and the v1, v2 etc is as good as
>>anything right now). How about we rename 'old views' to v1 and add a
>>v3 section?
>

> It needs a complete cleanup. We need to rationalise
> the current documentation and remove the old documentation
> completely. When we release 0.8 then we will only have
> one implementation of Dispatcher, i.e. current development.
>
> So the old v1 and "views" documentation will go away.

Also I think dispathcher docs should be in the plugin until they become
part of core. I don't understand why we have pluign docs in core. It is
confusing to users.

Ross

dispatcher documentation (Was: submitting patches)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: submitting patches (Was: FOR-766)

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.

--