Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Stephen A. Cochran" <St...@Cahir.net> on 2000/11/17 17:57:58 UTC

Re: Document Contains no data

I have a program which runs fine 90% of the time under mod_perl. About 10% of
the time Netscape reports "Document contains no data". Looking at the socket
traffic, the client receives an orderly release indication (T_ORDEL_IND = 132)
on the socket and reponds with a orderly release request, which closes the
socket.

I've added some printing calls to determine how far it's getting in the script,
even one on the first line. When it fails there are no warnings, none of the
STDERR output shows up in the error log, and the html is still generated and
output to the error_log.

It seems like once the socket it closed, the script continues, but output to
STDERR dissapears and STDOUT goes to the error log. Any ideas why the server is
sending the orderly release indication or any ways to trace it? I've run the
server in single process mode, but it still doesn't give any errors or warnings.

I've tried on two different machines, both DECs, one running Perl 5.00404,
Apache/1.3.12, mod_perl/1.24, the other running perl 5.00404, Apache/1.3.6,
mod_perl/1.20.

Steve Cochran

Re: Document Contains no data

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On 17 Nov 2000, Stephen A. Cochran wrote:

> I have a program which runs fine 90% of the time under mod_perl. About 10% of
> the time Netscape reports "Document contains no data". Looking at the socket
> traffic, the client receives an orderly release indication (T_ORDEL_IND = 132)
> on the socket and reponds with a orderly release request, which closes the
> socket.
>
> I've added some printing calls to determine how far it's getting in the script,
> even one on the first line. When it fails there are no warnings, none of the
> STDERR output shows up in the error log, and the html is still generated and
> output to the error_log.
>
> It seems like once the socket it closed, the script continues, but output to
> STDERR dissapears and STDOUT goes to the error log. Any ideas why the server is
> sending the orderly release indication or any ways to trace it? I've run the
> server in single process mode, but it still doesn't give any errors or warnings.

run it in single mode and attach to the process with strace(1) or truss(1)
(depending on what you have). See the debug chapter in the mod_perl guide.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org