Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Lance Bader <ld...@museslabs.com> on 2017/08/03 14:31:10 UTC

Bulk provisioning of JSPWiki users

Can anyone tell me how to provision a collection of new wiki users?

In our corporate wiki, we do not allow self provisioning.  I have configured the policies so that the only page that un-authenticated users can view is the logon page.  Up to this point, I have been using the admin pages to add new users (even though they are ugly, counter intuitive, and cannot be used to modify or delete a user).  Now we are going through a growth spurt and I don't want to use the admin panels to add each wave of new hires.

The organization of WEB-INF/userdatabase.xml is clear enough, but I need hints on how to populate the uid and password attributes.  If I remember correctly, back in the pre-Apache JSPWiki, there was a special encoding that could be used which, when read by JSPWiki, would be converted and replaced with the canonical form.  I would be forever grateful if someone could tell me how to do that in JSPWiki v2.10.2.

Lance

Re: Bulk provisioning of JSPWiki users

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
Alternatively you could try using container-based authentication, and
script user provisioning using the application server's available tools.
For example , the create-file-user command in Payara/GlassFish might do
the trick
(https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24938/create-file-user.htm#GSRFM00024).
Container-based authentication using LDAP could be another approach. If
you're deploying in a corporate environment with a growing number of
users, either option might be a more manageable approach going forward.

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lance,

The admin pages are indeed currently not intuitive, and an update of them
has been long overdue.

As part of the HADDOCK template upgrade,  I'm also reworking the admin
pages layout, and make them accessible via the User Preferences screens.
 (only when logged-in as ADMIN)

When time permits, I should be able to commit these changes in the coming
days.

***

I'm not aware if the 'special encoding' you are referring to for the
userdatabase.xml.  Maybe others on the dev-list can help ?

dirk