Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/27 09:02:36 UTC

All Git mirrrors now also on Github

Hi,

The Github team created a script that automatically pulls new mirrors
from git.apache.org (they detect the mirrors by screen-scraping
http://git.apache.org/) and as a result mirrors of all our Git mirrors
are now available also at http://github.com/apache. This is pretty
nice as it gives us all the Github browsing and visualization tools
for free and makes life easier for Github users who are tracking
Apache sources.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: All Git mirrrors now also on Github

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sync is working again.  These were my results (with the two latest
> commits):
>
> Commit at 1:55p
> Apache Sync at 3:29p
>
> Commit at 3:30p
> Apache Sync at 3:35p
>
> GitHub Sync at 3:50p
>
> GitHub is definitely quite a bit behind.  Note that all of these times are
> approximate upper-bounds.  My test was done by refreshing the page / git
> fetch every so often.
>
> With that said, I think GitHub is probably up-to-date enough to be useful.
> We should probably re-create all of our GitHub repos as forks of
> apache/buildr just so that GitHub gets the linking straight.  IMHO, the
> http://github.com/buildr repo is really obsolete at this point and we
> should
> consider deleting it once all of the forks are recreated.  Thoughts?

I much prefer to depend on apache/buildr, there's talk about github/apache
being well maintained into the future. The only downside is that sometimes
it misses a synch and you have to e-mail infra to tell them to kick the
machine. On the other hand, it synchs more regularly than buildr/buildr

Assaf

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.
> And what happens if they get interested in one of my experimental branches?
> Delete the repository and refork?

True, that's something I hadn't considered.

> Github allows you to send pull requests to anyone on the network, including
> peers. So if they forked apache/buildr, they can still send a pull request
> to you, and you can see their changes in the fork queue.

Resolves the problem nicely.  I didn't know that pull requests worked like
that.

Daniel

Re: All Git mirrrors now also on Github

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I reforked assaf/buildr from apache/buildr. I also renamed the older fork
> > buildr-old, so that fork (and its network) are still around, just no
> longer
> > maintained.
>

> Still working on this with my repo.  GitHub's deletion queue apparently
> glitched (they're working on it).
>

> > Preferably, fork from a mainline repo not a personal repo, i.e. fork
> > apache/buildr not assaf/buildr. We want to build the network around the
> > Apache Buildr project. Git (unlike SVN) handles multiple repositories
> with
> > breeze, so you can still pull (and push) to other people's repos.
>

> Personally, I don't think we should be shy about forking off of each other.
> Well, I take that back, the *committers* should almost certainly fork off
> of
> apache/buildr; but the rest of the community shouldn't feel so constrained.
> GitHub puts all the forks transitively in the same network, so there really
> isn't too much of a difference.
>
> The advantage to unrestricted forking is it allows non-committers more
> freedom in what they can work on.  For example, I like to work on some more
> experimental stuff in my fork.  A lot of it isn't ready yet, so I haven't
> pushed it into the SVN.  Someone might get interested in this and decide to
> help out with that particular feature.  The most logical thing for them to
> do would be to fork *my* repository and procede from there.  GitHub would
> notify me of their commits, and I could pull them into my (still unstable)
> fork pending eventual release into the trunk/.  If said non-committer had
> forked off of apache/buildr, we would have had to have the whole
> fork/integration process over email or on JIRA.  I'm not saying that these
> aren't appropriate venues, but I think that it is only logical to leverage
> some of the tools GitHub allows us in those sorts of situations.

And what happens if they get interested in one of my experimental branches?
Delete the repository and refork?

Github allows you to send pull requests to anyone on the network, including
peers. So if they forked apache/buildr, they can still send a pull request
to you, and you can see their changes in the fork queue.

I like using Github, but I don't like being limited by Github. Fortunately,
GIt is even better and you can pull from any remote repository, not just
those in your network. For example, since I added your repo a while back, I
can do this:

$ git branch -r
  . . .
  djspiewak/clojure
  djspiewak/cobertura
  djspiewak/commands
  djspiewak/gae
  djspiewak/interactive-shell
  djspiewak/jruby-system
  djspiewak/master
  djspiewak/scala-joint-compilation
  djspiewak/scalabison
  djspiewak/separate-scala-specs

Without forking it I can follow all your experimental branches, branch off
yours, merge your changes to trunk, and ask you to pull from my repository.

Assaf

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sync is working again.  These were my results (with the two latest
> commits):
>
> Commit at 1:55p
> Apache Sync at 3:29p
>
> Commit at 3:30p
> Apache Sync at 3:35p
>
> GitHub Sync at 3:50p
>
> GitHub is definitely quite a bit behind.  Note that all of these times are
> approximate upper-bounds.  My test was done by refreshing the page / git
> fetch every so often.
>
> With that said, I think GitHub is probably up-to-date enough to be useful.
> We should probably re-create all of our GitHub repos as forks of
> apache/buildr just so that GitHub gets the linking straight.  IMHO, the
> http://github.com/buildr repo is really obsolete at this point and we
> should
> consider deleting it once all of the forks are recreated.  Thoughts?

I reforked assaf/buildr from apache/buildr. I also renamed the older fork
buildr-old, so that fork (and its network) are still around, just no longer
maintained.

To change forks, kill (or rename) your existing fork, and fork again. AFAIK
you don't have to do anything special on your local repo, just push all the
remote branches you had in the old fork to the new fork.

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: All Git mirrrors now also on Github

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.