Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by pragmaticbigdata <am...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/08 13:55:26 UTC

Node authentication using security credentials

It seems ignite (version 1.6) provides a  way
<https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/master/modules/core/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/plugin/security/SecurityCredentialsProvider.java>
to specify security credentials but I do not see a way to set it in the
IgniteConfiguration. Is it meant to be used only with the enterprise version
as specified in the  docs
<https://gridgain.readme.io/docs/security-concepts>  ? If so, I did not
follow the reason of the interface and the classes to be in the open source
version. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Re: Node authentication using security credentials

Posted by Vladislav Pyatkov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Authentication process protects access to grid in first, but authorization
allow to determine list of authorized permissions.
In other word you can have some clients with difference rights. Any user
can have or have not permission to grid functionality. Description of the
permission you can see in the enum
org.apache.ignite.plugin.security.SecurityPermission.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM, pragmaticbigdata <am...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When you mention "Ignite has all the hooks in the code" I think you are
> referring the the plugin support that ignite provides and the classes under
> the package "org.apache.ignite.plugin.security".
>
> What could be the reasons of having a security layer given that ignite
> would
> be deployed on a private aws network (VPC)? I do not foresee a need of
> having client authentication but just wanted to know your thoughts.

Vladislav Pyatkov

Re: Node authentication using security credentials

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
I would also add that GridGain enterprise edition already provides the
implementation of security plugin. Ignite has all the hooks in the code, but
you have to provide your own implementation.

-Val

Re: Node authentication using security credentials

Posted by Vladislav Pyatkov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Anyone can to implement your own authorisation mechanism. You can see the
topic[1].

[1]
http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Custom-GridSecurityProcessor-plugin-question-td4942.html

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 4:55 PM, pragmaticbigdata <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems ignite (version 1.6) provides a  way
> <https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/master/modules/
> core/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/plugin/security/
> SecurityCredentialsProvider.java>
> to specify security credentials but I do not see a way to set it in the
> IgniteConfiguration. Is it meant to be used only with the enterprise
> version
> as specified in the  docs
> <https://gridgain.readme.io/docs/security-concepts>  ? If so, I did not
> follow the reason of the interface and the classes to be in the open source
> version. Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks!

Vladislav Pyatkov