Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Dempsey, Richard C" <ri...@kodak.com> on 2017/10/20 19:04:32 UTC

[users@httpd] Undefined Symbol Prevents mod_proxy.so from Loading

I am building Apache 2.4.28 on RedHat Linux 2.6.32-573.el6.x86_64 for use as a reverse proxy server, to upgrade from Apache 2.4.23. I am building with APR 1.6.0 and APR-Util 1.6.2.

When I run apachectl configtest, I get the following message:

httpd: Syntax error on line 43 of /web/conf/httpd_main_proxy.conf: Syntax error on line 57 of /web/conf/extra/httpd-modules.conf: Cannot load modules/mod_proxy.so into server: /web/modules/mod_proxy.so: undefined symbol: ap_check_pipeline

And, indeed, nm -D confirms the ap_check_pipeline symbol is undefined:

$ nm -D ./httpd-2.4.28/modules/proxy/.libs/mod_proxy.so
                 w _Jv_RegisterClasses
000000000021d320 A __bss_start
                 U __ctype_b_loc
                 U __ctype_toupper_loc
                 w __cxa_finalize
                 U __errno_location
                 w __gmon_start__
000000000021d320 A _edata
000000000021d3c0 A _end
0000000000016268 T _fini
00000000000053b0 T _init
                 U ap_add_input_filter
                 U ap_bucket_error_create
                 U ap_check_cmd_context
                 U ap_check_pipeline
                 U ap_construct_url
                 U ap_create_per_dir_config
                 U ap_die
                 U ap_escape_html2
                 U ap_fflush
                 U ap_find_token
                 U ap_get_brigade
                 U ap_get_server_banner
                 U ap_get_server_name
                 U ap_get_server_port
                 U ap_get_token
[...]

My searches for ap_check_pipeline, both online and in the source, tell me that it's declared in ./httpd-2.4.28/modules/http/http_request.c, but little else. Certainly, there is nothing about issues from the symbol being undefined. In the output from configure and make, I see that http_request.c is compiled.

- Am I misinterpreting what AP_DECLARE means in the source?
- Where else should I look to find out why Apache wants the ap_check_pipeline to be defined?

Regards,

Rich

Rich Dempsey
eBusiness Analyst
WWIS CRM & Logistics
Eastman Kodak Company

richard.dempsey@kodak.com

RE: [users@httpd] Undefined Symbol Prevents mod_proxy.so from Loading

Posted by "Dempsey, Richard C" <ri...@kodak.com>.
After burrowing through the build process with no luck, I found that the error was in the customized apachectl files, which had a version string hard coded.

Regards,

Rich

Rich Dempsey
eBusiness Analyst