Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/10 20:37:23 UTC

Solr2

Now a I was saying ... SolrCloud2. Well, some people don’t like the name -
fair enough - I don’t like purple much and I didn’t invent either... so
Solr2.

I have some thoughts, a few things to offer. Yes, the guy behind a lot of
the current garbage. They asked me my thoughts on this thing on day one - I
told them I don’t have a single one, let me have a go and I’ll get back to
you. Done and done.

So yeah, Solr2. Wait, what’s that ... ? Loud dance floor out here - if I
could have the floor for just a moment. I’ve put just a little bit of time
and effort in before grabbing the mic. A modicum. My ego, my job, my
status, my history, really not part of the equation, so if I could request
a few lines before the rebuttal and correction and redirection.  No hurry
for those things, they are patient characters.

Anyway, give me a moment, and in return I’ll spare you the long winded
diversions.

Having considered Solr2 for some time, I see all kinds of roadblocks and
restraints and limitations. I see a path fraught with the potential to
mimic previous paths. And my goodness, I’m getting old. Fresh, promising
paths please. So Ive invested some time and effort to establish an escape
route from the safe, conservative hack and slash through the jungle that
gets less safe the deeper we dive. I’d simply tell you about it, but jungle
stories are all heart and no soul and we will all trade them all day.

So I’ve got some notes and code and maps and journals and crap instead.
Compiled from a couple expeditions. From before spelunking made me an old
man. So my machete isn’t solo diving any new trails, single handedly
slaying jungle cats any longer. The blade just keeps getting duller.

But I’ve got these previous materials. I’ll lay them out. Take a look. If
we can explore and discuss with just a passing courtesy of respect for our
relative time and investment and focus put in before letting loose, I’m
sure we can move beyond basic software counter meandering quickly enough to
actually enter the jungle.

I’ll try and lay out some evidence to help here. For instance, that
zookeeper is not the issue. That the overseer is not the issue. That
modules and multitudes of features are not the issue. Previous efforts are
not the issue. Object oriented development and agile frameworks are not the
issue. And yet all remain pertinent software development conversation. Bike
shed rainbows. You can make beautiful multicolored bike sheds with all of
them.

But discuss colors with someone else please. I can’t do it anymore.  But I
can discuss some jungle hack and slash momentum and trail blazing.  Give me
a moment. Time is fairly irrelevant on this dance floor. Tomorrow. Next
year. 3 years. Solr 42. It’s all the same timeline when the time comes.
Hell, my brain feels equally everywhere in all the timelines anyway. So one
moment, and I’ll point you to my speech, my journals, my old jungle dune
buggy - I did spend a moment or two once or twice preparing the damn thing
- just a moment or two, just 1, 2 or 3 times - and then the microphone is
all yours. But please, don’t talk to me about rainbows or shades of
magenta, I’m a jungle explorer, not a Sherwin Williams employee. Don’t
cover me with paint - I’m a roto spinning paint spewing machine. And I’d
love to spare you the paint ball war as well.

Links coming.

Mark

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
As I think about the question of “What is the priority of this Solr2 stuff,
addressing the immediate issues in Solr or performance?” It triggers all
kinds of responses from me, because the two are so wrapped up.

But I’m gonna take a guess and say maybe the question is more like:

I’m using Solr now, there are these immediate issues around losing
overseers and leaders, this is obviously my concern and priority - is not
this Solr2 stuff premature in the face of the current issues, are you
suggesting that’s what I go work on instead?

So let me say, the Solr2 stuff is not a proposal to begin work on a Solr2.
It’s my research and thoughts and notes on such a thing. There is plenty
that I had to dig through and work through that can and will apply to the
current world.

So I don’t suggest you give up on solving problems that you face now, and
those issues prompted this whole journey. And also, I have thoughts and
notes on the future and where things on an iterative path start to come up
short.

I’ll try and make it clear what things might offer value short term, vs
what fuels ideas and thoughts and research about the future.

MRM
--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Anyway, like I said, my thoughts and notes on a Solr 2 will arrive shortly.
They don’t involve release planning or branching or how one might go about
an effort larger than a typical incremental release.

For those I gave a date for those notes and comments, I apologize for being
late. Life I guess.

As far as quality vs speed, I feel they are extremely related in this case
more than most, but it’s not something I’ve had to choose between in my
research, I’m a multi tasked.  So I don’t have an opinion on it as a final
answer. Your choice. My notes will reference plenty of both.

Mark
--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
And to finish off the collection creation scale value, I don’t push to
reach there because it’s good for finding holes and races in state updates
and collection creation - though it is. It’s totally critical to all the
other work.

There is actually a lot more with potential to isolate because of it for
one, but the huge thing involves allowing all that effort and time finish
in a gold state, in a state that is not still of devilish issues. A lot of
core stuff I did - that survive and looks good in tests an led various,
there ends remaining all these pretty important issues to straighten out
and address and work through. And intense varied afford and testing -
completely unknown to me. And stuff totally outside creating collections.
But you push there, it pops out easily and reliably at the scale. So no you
see these things, it makes a lot of work that in another would be hard to
isolate more attainable, and the switch from mostly invisible  to easily
viable and reproducible makes the assessing easy in a way that perhaps they
did ghost up before in various rare areas and times - but that type of
thing is a world harder to identify and track down and verify solutions.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
That sounds like a simple question. But for me, it is not.

I’m going to be frank. People love to take offense when I am frank. But
let’s be real, let’s discuss.

In both of those areas we are near the bottom of the totem pole. Many
others are as well and lower. Large numbers. But that does not change the
size of the totem pole or where we are on it.

And so, do I think this is important or that? Do I care about this or that?
Hmmm...

I’d like to climb the totem pole a bit.

And this is where people take offense. I’m sorry, children out of the room
please.

It’s actually a bear to climb. Lifting a city. The work I have done, will
blow this away. Now, it’s a jungle buggy, not your next jet fighter. And
I’m like, just in the early parts of the jungle. This buggy is still te
clearing bush ive already cleared.

People that are actually serious, let’s look at that and discuss before
getting offended.

I had to take the long route and try and catch my own hail marry because
the state of the world when I discovered most most of what I learned - good
god, I’m hardly into the brush, need to call in the military, and over here
I see a bunch of independent militias skirmishing. Some of the best
soldiers, checked out in the sickbay. Opposing soldiers seemingly hanging.
Non military refs running around. And that’s all fine. Your lives your
business. Don’t care. But need to call in a hit squad, not a ... whatever.

What we have is a kind of pretend parallel, sequence machine. Full of traps
and pitfalls, and don’t move that rock and Jesus, clear too much jungle and
watch out for the critters.

Again, fine. This type of software had a golden age. Happy for it. But this
is what I’m facing. I need serious collaborators. Not bitter frenemies.

Now we have benefits from the jungle. You basically get to ignore any real
software rules or laws or patterns or ... whatever. Glad you went to
college, you will have  fun applying that to a class or three every now and
then, but kick back, cause you don’t need it.

And it’s true. You don’t. The system compensates. To a degree. But do you
know at what expense? I’ll put huge good money pretty much no one working
on this does. Again. Not judgement. You know how much it took me to dig
out? To explore? To confirm? To experiment? If you have the time or effort
to do anything but the kind of intro and sneer that does often happen you
are a strange human or a goddamn genius above the ones  know.  The expense
is huge. And advancing hardware and pretend parallel and a flurry of hail
and did I miss? “No worries, hail being spammed everywhere every minute, it
will hit you” will compensate. Horrible blocking? Dangerous patterns?
Ridiculous over the top violations of rules that mattered before Java made
intel inside? So again, don’t think I’m saying this is shit software and a
caring way - I’m not saying that. It’s the totem pole.  This type of
software gets to survive and thrive by watching the pole grow and chilling
near the bottom.

And so. Make it work correct? Or make it work fast?

Well now it sounds silly. Is that a trick question?

Well I think it might be. For one, the two are related at a reasonable
level. And for two, how do you start building human structures vs jungle?
Tough question. Lots of people have answers and stuff that works all over.
But for this I unique situation and software here?

I suppose lots of opinions. Personally, I’ve tried to tackle it before.

Can you tackle it without a collection creation contest? Without pounding
cores and basic behavior and setup and shutdown and all of it at thousands
and thousands of everything in a ridiculous short time?

Yes. You could. It takes major tools and infrastructure and focus on none
feature shit. Like the developer support side is as critical as the user
production side.

Now I had and have to invest huge there myself. Takes way more than I could
handle or maintain and blah blah. I have a personal, huge, jungle scrap kit
of tools to figure out what the hell this things does and then what does
when I change it. And when I pound on it and create tremendous data that I
need to analyze and iterate on at a high right. You not only need the
tools, they have to have quick iteration. They have to. This jungle is
great at playing dead against simple, non agresiva tactics. But out in the
wild? Doesn’t work that way.

Anyway, without the reserve coming in to setup quite an infra investment,
you can cheat the hell out of the problem by putting the system into a
position that you can pound on it in massive parallel, and putting yourself
in the position of being able to absorb and respond with quick iteration.
Big hack when you have 0 coast guard coming, but also still likely
necessary work a small team. If you can’t break the rust in the wheels and
then stress this thing, it’s true behavior possibilities will be
outsmarting and outmaneuvering like any good jungle cat.

Now, with what I already learned from such efforts before, could I address
much more quicker?

Oh god yess. This thing is silly. Silly. The only hard thing about that, is
that it’s a bitch. Go shift some rocks in a true advancement and your going
to be stuck with dealing with gods knows what coming out of 5 other rocks
that get hit and some insects you disturbed with the air momentum.

There is a reason this level advanced happens ridiculously rarely even
though it’s huge plentiful and ridiculously obvious and non brilliant moves
when there are so many intelligent people involved, that have come and
gone.  Jungle don’t care how smart you are. Did you bring your X-ray
vision? Super speed? Backup hero’s?

Now, it also depends on your idea of correctness.
What you need. What you want. Those issues?  Garbage. It’s just garbage
going on. You can slow step through it and see. And just clear cut easy.

And then realize Jesus, what are we doing anyway. Those issues are not even
my concern. Unless you are talking at crazy scale and performance. Even
then, not the biggest issues at all. Part of the most basic of tables
stakes to even talk about the stuff we really want to do. When I say this
thing is so forkable, it’s not a threat at all. It’s observation that in my
world. That wouldn’t be a question. If immediately move to level 5 or 7
just to start and that’s level 1.

It’s embarrassing that stuff is the problem it is. You can make it - no
exaggerating one tiny bit - 10x better, and it’s still nothing you should
turn in for a grade. And I’m being emotionally honest. Like let’s talk for
real. It doesn’t change how the software works and is working -  how many
people are using it - the value it’s given and giving. Don’t make me lie or
hide legitimate and non biased honesty. I don’t pick it. I feel bad if it
hurts or offends or bothers anyone. That’s affected me for a long time in
terms of keeping me in the dark. I don’t want to offend anyone. But don’t
make me the villain  because i refuse to not point at the elephant anymore.
I’m not the villain. I’d prefer you think I’m crazy.  Where people have a
misconception is that I care about whew ethos specific project is. God no.
With my old Lucene buddies it would be great. Trench war fair. We would buy
beat and wage war. But they ain’t here. And so no, I don’t care where the
software is. I care about where it cold and should be and what we can do.
What the potential. I go, oh bay, look at the room and potential in that
totem pole! That shit looks good to me. Ground to move. Anyone offended or
in disagreement, no problem, look the short side   That’s fine. Different
strokes.

I’m gonna and talk about some terrible behavior and easy improvements. With
a smile on my face, not a frown at the state of things.

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Anyway, that’s just a bit of context.  What and how and when a Solr 2 could
be and work and coexist and share with what we have is hugely available and
flexible issue - if I’m talking about o serious collaborators. Almost as
flexible and open to possibility as software itself.

And I’ve got plenty coming very very soon that’s organized and approachable
and picky eater edible.  So no reason to get bogged down first.

But also id like to say, that question is not anywhere near the trade off
you think it is. Try to avoid huge gains in both with simple potent
strikes. Not the issue. Until I have to resort to huge, aggressive scale
and performance, no thinking about that trade.  Both will rise on anything
good. Let’s discuss that a little. I’ll put something together.

Beyond that - and there is work and time between us and beyond that - but
beyond that, is where the interesting field lies. The point that hardware
and inefficiency gets routed. Enemy
ambushes deep in victory territory?!

Now we can author the book backwards.  You tell me.

Does that mean we don’t peak at the end? Discuss the end? hang the time in
the sqaure before he messed up the timeline?

Who knows.  But that is where this project needs to move too. And more
offensive and laughter - but in limited time. Because projects are being
built working on those problems while projects like ours can’t even look at
them yet.  I’m not taking a keep when I say time is limited. It’s just
obvious nature as you peel around at the state of things.

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Solr2

Posted by Ilan Ginzburg <il...@gmail.com>.