Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stefan Arentz <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/04 10:46:03 UTC

IDEA Plugin and non-existing module artifacts

I use the IDEA plugin to generate project files for my Maven projects.
Works pretty good but there is one thing that bugs me.

It seems that you first need to build and install the project before
the IDEA plugin can create the project files. In other words, the
plugin requires the artifacts to be available. Usually this is not a
problem but I encounter many cases now where I need to work on a
project that does not actually build yet.

I think this mostly happens in multi-module projects. I always run
with linkModules=true so IDEA really doesn't need to have links to the
artifacts in ~/.m2/repository.

Is this a known limitation of the IDEA plugin that can be fixed?
Should I fix that?

 S.

Re: Re: IDEA Plugin and non-existing module artifacts

Posted by Stefan Arentz <st...@gmail.com>.
On 12/4/06, Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Arentz wrote:
> > I use the IDEA plugin to generate project files for my Maven projects.
> > Works pretty good but there is one thing that bugs me.
> >
> > It seems that you first need to build and install the project before
> > the IDEA plugin can create the project files. In other words, the
> > plugin requires the artifacts to be available. Usually this is not a
> > problem but I encounter many cases now where I need to work on a
> > project that does not actually build yet.
> >
> > I think this mostly happens in multi-module projects. I always run
> > with linkModules=true so IDEA really doesn't need to have links to the
> > artifacts in ~/.m2/repository.
> >
> > Is this a known limitation of the IDEA plugin that can be fixed?
> > Should I fix that?
>
> It still usually work even if it's complaining a whole lot about missing
> artifacts.

No it seems to stop processing the dependencies when it encounters a
module dependency that it cannot resolve. Since I list those first in
my pom I always end up with a project that misses all the external
deps.

 S.

Re: IDEA Plugin and non-existing module artifacts

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.

--
Trygve