Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Tim Jones <ti...@mccarthy.co.nz> on 2014/09/12 03:41:40 UTC

Confusion with installing and refreshing bundles

After reading http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/bundle-refresh-td4032433.html
I am confused with Freeman's answer "you do need refresh bundleA, this will
cause all bundles depending on bundleA refresh(re-resolved) also".

Can someone please clarify the expected behaviour as we are not seeing the
osgi:refresh command refresh dependent bundles as described e.g given

Bundle A version 1.2.0
Bundle B version 1.2.0

where bundle B references services in A (i.e. B dependent upon A)

If I install and start a new Bundle A version 1.2.1 then refreshing Bundle A
does not seem to rewire the dependent bundle B (logging the
OsgiApplicationEvents via a OsgiBundleApplicationContextListener also shows
no dependent bundles being refreshed). But if I refresh bundle B then the
later version 1.2.1 of bundle A is now referenced from B.

Re: Confusion with installing and refreshing bundles

Posted by Tim Jones <ti...@mccarthy.co.nz>.
Thanks Achim,

so what process/commands are best to use to determine what bundles need to
be refreshed given that a new version of a bundle A has been installed?

Re: Confusion with installing and refreshing bundles

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

yes it's the way you experienced it.
If you refresh Bundle B the re-wiring does take place.
The same is true for doing a bundle:refresh  without the bundle ID.
Though I usually prefer to issue it on the bundle in question.

regards, Achim

> After reading
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/bundle-refresh-td4032433.html
> I am confused with Freeman's answer "you do need refresh bundleA, this will
> cause all bundles depending on bundleA refresh(re-resolved) also".
>
> Can someone please clarify the expected behaviour as we are not seeing the
> osgi:refresh command refresh dependent bundles as described e.g given
>
> Bundle A version 1.2.0
> Bundle B version 1.2.0
>
> where bundle B references services in A (i.e. B dependent upon A)
>
> If I install and start a new Bundle A version 1.2.1 then refreshing Bundle
> does not seem to rewire the dependent bundle B (logging the
> OsgiApplicationEvents via a OsgiBundleApplicationContextListener also shows
> no dependent bundles being refreshed). But if I refresh bundle B then the
> later version 1.2.1 of bundle A is now referenced from B.

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>