Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by de...@anadocs.com on 2007/08/31 10:28:44 UTC

Need clarification on versioning

Hi there,

   Let me to introduce first. I am Deepan, working as a system
administrator in Anadocs IT Solutions. First of all, I must say thanks
for your mail supporting option and this is a great help for SVN users.

   I am trying to make my users to work on SVN and they are using CVS
right now. I have some questions to get clarified to make them use SVN.
Here is my questions,

   1. One of the user told me that the version number allocating in SVN is
different than CVS. For Example, If I add a file in a repository, that
file will be labelled as version 1. But in SVN If I add a file, the
file has been allocated with a version 20 (20 refers my current version
number of whole repository). Is that true? How can I find or make SVN
to set verison 1 to the newly added files in repository?

   2. I am using smart svn as my SVN client. Is there any option to find
the difference between the locally checked out file and the file in the
server (Only for a particular file)? I guess, I should not ask this
question to you, but it will be helpful for me If you answer me this
question too.

    Thanks in advance for your help and I would like to appreciate your help.

Regards,
Deepan.R

Re: Need clarification on versioning

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 03:58:44PM +0530, deepan@anadocs.com wrote:

>    1. One of the user told me that the version number allocating in SVN is
> different than CVS. For Example, If I add a file in a repository, that
> file will be labelled as version 1. But in SVN If I add a file, the
> file has been allocated with a version 20 (20 refers my current version
> number of whole repository). Is that true? How can I find or make SVN
> to set verison 1 to the newly added files in repository?

Short answer: You cannot. Period.

>     Thanks in advance for your help and I would like to appreciate your help.

Just a tip: If you are the administrator of the svn repository. start
learning subversion by using the command line client first.
You will learn much faster about the concepts behind subversion. Once
you are familiar with subversion, you can switch over to a particular
client.
This is - IMHO - much better than doing it the other way around.

Rainer

Re: Need clarification on versioning

Posted by Maddes <ma...@arcor.de>.
Hello Deepan,

please have a look at the free SVN book at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/index.html

1. Version Numbers
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.forcvs.html
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.basic.in-action.revs

2. Diff
Generally "svn diff" as it can compare a path in your working copy with
an URL of your server.
see http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.ref.svn.c.diff.html

Regards
Matthias "Maddes" Bücher
http://www.maddes.net/

Posted by Greg Thomas <th...@omc.bt.co.uk>.
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:58:44 +0530 (IST), deepan@anadocs.com wrote:

>1. One of the user told me that the version number allocating in SVN is
>different than CVS. For Example, If I add a file in a repository, that
>file will be labelled as version 1. But in SVN If I add a file, the
>file has been allocated with a version 20 (20 refers my current version
>number of whole repository). Is that true? How can I find or make SVN
>to set verison 1 to the newly added files in repository?

Yes, it is true, there's nothing you can do about it. What makes the
number "1" any more special than the number "20" ?
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#globalrev covers this.

>   2. I am using smart svn as my SVN client. Is there any option ...

No idea. You'll need to ask on any SmartSVN mailing list.

Greg
--
This post represents the views of the author and does
not necessarily accurately represent the views of BT.