Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by jiangwen w <wj...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/18 05:26:41 UTC

move meta table to ZK

how do you think about moving meta table to ZK, so no meta table are needed.
if we do so, we need enhance ZK in the following way:
1. let children of ZNode in order.

if we do so, we can benifit:

1. no need to treat meta table as a special way. this will simplify the code
a lot
2. ZK is highly available, so we don't worry the availablility of the meta
data.
3. currently if the region server where meta table is on failed, the whole
cluster may pause.
    if we move meta table to ZK, there is no such problem.
4. meta table may be a hotspot, but in ZK reading is scalable by adding more
observers.

Sincerely

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by Mathias Herberts <ma...@gmail.com>.
> I used to be a fan, but I think self hosting all important meta data is the
> best approach. It makes lots of things easier, like replication, snapshots,
> etc.

+1

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by jiangwen w <wj...@gmail.com>.
1. I have stored millions of nodes in ZK, ZK works well.
 there is no problem to store a large number of nodes into ZK.
 Currently there is only one row in -ROOT-, namely there is only one region
in .META.
 There are many files in a region. before ZK is bottleneck, NameNode is
bottleneck.
assume that one region will consume 1K memory in ZK, one million regions
only consume 1G memory.

2. putting .META. into ZK have nothing to do with SPOF of master. wherever
we put .META. table, we must handle SPOF of master.

3.the region server that host .META. may be a bottleneck. we can improve the
read performance of ZK by adding more observers.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM, <ha...@trendmicro.com.cn> wrote:

> I don't think it's a good idea.
> 1. Why we need -ROOT-? Because we are afraid .META. is larger than a
> region's size. So .META. can be larger and ZK is not suitable for too
> many data.
> 2. Even we put .META. into ZK, we still need a server to manage the data
> (now it's Master Server). And the server is still a single point.
> So the problem is how can we do when Master Server got problem? Rather
> than why we don't put .META. in ZK?
>
> On 2011年03月18日 23:58, Ted Dunning wrote:
> > Excuse me?
> >
> > How does that affect the issue of snapshotting a table?
> >
> > And how can replication NOT involve meta-data?
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM, jiangwen w<wj...@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
> >
> >> replication does not involve meta data.

> >> the
> >> snapshots,

> the
> adding

> TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE
> The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential
> and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection.
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or
> disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail
> or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by ha...@trendmicro.com.cn.

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
Excuse me?

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by jiangwen w <wj...@gmail.com>.

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
When does ZK plan to adopt this extension?

In general, I agree with Ryan that ZK is a good coordination layer, but the
data (and associated meta-data should be self-hosted to simplify the
consistency problem).

Re: move meta table to ZK

Posted by jiangwen w <wj...@gmail.com>.

Re: move meta table to ZK