Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by mvchris <ch...@mrvoip.com.au> on 2013/02/22 10:24:03 UTC

Jumpstart - instantiate object comment

Hi T5 Users and "Jumpstart Geoff",

Whilst checking out some ValueEncoder stuff I just thought I'd ask seeing as
it gets brought up a lot  (Thiago/Taha) :)

This example on jumpstart [1] has two ValueEncoder instantiated at the
declaration of the field.  As I understand this is a no-no and should be in
either onActivate() or SetupRender().

Is this correct?

Another example [2] doesn't use the @Property annotation and just
instantiates the field if required on the getter - which would not raise any
blood pressures...

Have a good weekend!
Kind Regards,
Chris

[1]
http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/tables/editablegridforupdate1
[2]
http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/select/easyobject

Re: Jumpstart - instantiate object comment

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:24:03 -0300, mvchris <ch...@mrvoip.com.au> wrote:

> Hi T5 Users and "Jumpstart Geoff",

Hi!

> Whilst checking out some ValueEncoder stuff I just thought I'd ask
> seeing as it gets brought up a lot  (Thiago/Taha) :)
>
> This example on jumpstart [1] has two ValueEncoder instantiated at the
> declaration of the field.  As I understand this is a no-no and should be
> in either onActivate() or SetupRender().
> Is this correct?

It's correct for a general rule, but in some cases it's not really a
problem. In [1], the field is final. The problem is with mutable fields
with mutable state. It's not a problem for primitive types nor classes
with immutable fields, such as Integer.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo