Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io> on 2016/06/03 13:54:23 UTC

AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored

Hi,

Just now i indexed ~15k doc to a newly made core and shema, running 6.0 local this time. It was just regular indexing, nothing fancy and very small documents. Then the following popped up in the logs:

2496200 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 3932885930
2496201 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 3688877580
2496201 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 1424679833
2496202 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 2688901972
2496203 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 3932885930
2496204 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 1424679833
2496204 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 3932885930
2496205 WARN  (qtp97730845-17) [   x:documents] o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored: 795889345

There were a total of 24001 while i only indexed ~15k documents. To verify, i cleared the core and tried again, the warnings popped up again. To verify it only happens to an empty core, i reindexed the the same set of documents to the already filled core and it happened again. To make sure this is not suddenly happening to all cores in this instance, i indexed, via the same process, a bunch of different documents to another core. But that core is not affected.

The documents in the index seem fine, their contents are as expected.The same Solr instance has a lot more different cores but usually with similar schema's. The SolrInputDocument construction and indexing process is identical for each core / schema. Solrconfig is mostly the same, Solr specific stuff is just identical.

Any hints on where to look?

Many thanks!
Markus

Re: AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an atomic update, operation ignored

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/3/2016 7:54 AM, Markus Jelsma wrote:
> Just now i indexed ~15k doc to a newly made core and shema, running
> 6.0 local this time. It was just regular indexing, nothing fancy and
> very small documents. Then the following popped up in the logs:
> 2496200 WARN (qtp97730845-17) [ x:documents]
> o.a.s.u.p.AtomicUpdateDocumentMerger Unknown operation for the an
> atomic update, operation ignored: 3932885930

This happens when you add a document where the value of a field is a
key/value construct, but isn't actually an atomic update.  In JSON, this
is represented with curly braces.  In Java, it is a Map object.  This
kind of construct is only used for Atomic Updates -- the key must be one
of the atomic operations: set, add, delete, inc.  The warning message
that I quoted indicates that the the key in the key/value construct for
that document was 3932885930.

If you are using SolrJ, then the value of one or more fields is being
set to a Map object, which isn't right unless you intend to do an Atomic
Update.  If you are using JSON formatted updates, there are probably
curly braces where they don't belong.

Thanks,
Shawn