Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/25 16:52:56 UTC

deprecate swift:3.0 get users to migrate to swift:3.1.1

I'm proposing that we deprecate swift:3.0 and get everyone using
swift:3.1.1 kind

The default kind for swift is already swift:3.1.1 anyway.

What this means if an user opens a bug against swift:3.0 we are going to
tell that 3.0 is deprecated and to try in swift:3.1.1 to see if the bug
exists in the new runtime, and then look into how to resolve.

To migrate from swift:3.0 to swift:3.1.1 if the action uses a single source
file then it's matter of updating the kind.

If the user is pre-compiling then it needs to pre-compile using the new
image as described in the docs
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/docs/actions.md#packaging-an-action-as-a-swift-executable

I have a repo with an example that shows side by side, and some scripts to
make it easier to migrate if need it
https://github.com/csantanapr/openwhisk-swift-upgrade

**The actions items to get this done are:**
 1. Update the reference docs to tell users to migrate their actions to
kind swift:3.1.1
 2. After a period (maybe 4 weeks) update manifest in invoker to mark it
deprecated, meaning user can only read, update, and delete actions with
swift:3.0 not invoke.

I also created an issue here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/2897

-- Carlos

Re: deprecate swift:3.0 get users to migrate to swift:3.1.1

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Small clarification, the manifest updates only allow for read, and delete,
it doesn't allow to update the action, it will need to be deleted and
re-created with using the kind swift:3.1.1