Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2002/04/15 20:47:22 UTC

APR's configure

I've been trying to track down the problem Jeff reported on Darwin
when using autoconf 2.52 and have found something weird... In
some cases, the apr configure script has a large section added in
at the front from the apr/build/libtool.m4 code. It does stuff
like checking PATH_SEPARATOR and echo and other stuff.

The deal is, it also seems to include this code:

if test "X$1" = X--no-reexec; then
  # Discard the --no-reexec flag, and continue.
  shift
elif test "X$1" = X--fallback-echo; then
  # Avoid inline document here, it may be left over
  :
elif test "X`($echo '\t') 2>/dev/null`" = 'X\t'; then
  # Yippee, $echo works!
  :
else
  # Restart under the correct shell.
  exec $SHELL "$0" --no-reexec ${1+"$@"}
fi

As I read this, this causes the APR configure to "restart" itself.
I think that what Jeff is seeing is therefore the 'exec $SHELL...'
line mangle his env vars when there's a space in them.

Any idea why we worry about this (finding echo's that don't interpret
backslashes) in APR and nowhere else... APR is the only one that sincludes
the libtool.m4 file...