Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Deepak J <dj...@verisign.com> on 2007/09/11 13:14:17 UTC

Using MINA within TOMCAT and retaining the Servlet API

I have a question similar to:
http://www.nabble.com/A-Question-about-using-MINA-with-Resin--Tomcat-tf3365431s16868.html#a9363644

I am trying to introduce MINA/ASyncWeb in Tomcat while retaining the
HTTPServlet. It seems to me that there is no way to 'sneak in' asynchronous
IO capability.

This seems to have been implemeted in Tomcat 6.0:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html
"With usage of APR or NIO APIs as the basis of its connectors, Tomcat is
able to provide a number of extensions over the regular blocking IO as
provided with support for the Servlet API. "

Is my understanding right?

Re: Using MINA within TOMCAT and retaining the Servlet API

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
AsyncWeb makes no attempt to implement the Java Servlet API and has its
own proprietary API for creating an event-driven web server.

Yes you can use Tomcat 6 to handle event-driven web requests using the
technique described in the URL you provided.  If you need something
that's light weight, AsyncWeb works great.  If you need the additional
functioncality of Tomcat, you can use that too.

As far as I know, there aren't any performance comparisons between
Tomcat 6 and AsyncWeb although this would make for an interesting study.

-Mike