Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2020/05/18 14:29:43 UTC

Re: "Fill in" notification messages based on event time watermark

I think there is some confusion in this thread between the auto
watermark interval and the interval (length) of an event-time window.
Maybe clearing that up for everyone helps.

The auto watermark interval is the periodicity (in processing time) at
which Flink asks the source (or a watermark generator) what the current
watermark is. The source will keep track of the timestamps that it can
"respond" to Flink when it asks. For example, if the auto watermark
interval is set to 1 sec, Flink will update the watermark information
every second. This doesn't mean, though, that the watermark advances 1
sec in that time. If you're reading through some historic data the
watermark could jump by hours in between those 1 second intervals. You
can also think of this as the sampling interval for updating the current
watermark.

The window size size independent of the auto watermark interval, you can
have an arbitrary size here. The auto watermark interval only controls
how frequent Flink will check and emit the contents of windows, if their
end timestamp is below the watermark.

I hope that helps. If we're all clear we can look at the concrete
problem again.

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by Manas Kale <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aljoscha,
Thank you, that clarification helps. I am generating a new watermark in the
getCurrentWatermark() method of my assigner, which causes the watermark to
be actually updated every autoWatermark interval. I assumed that actual
watermark updates were caused by only setAutoWatermark() method, which was
incorrect. Your explanation makes it clear.
Note that I have canned this problem for now, and I'll send out a reply to
this chain if I need help to solve it properly again. I don't want to waste
anyone's time.

Thanks!