Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Jesse Vitrone <je...@agentscape.com> on 2005/07/13 04:38:35 UTC

suggestions for how to display calendar

I'm working on an application that has some PIM functionality and has a
calendar / schedule that needs to show a monthly view of the calendar,
with all the events for that day.  I'm not sure the best way to display
this using JSF.

I have it done just as a JSF tag from my pre-JSF times, and I'm not sure
how to convert my non-JSF logic to the JSF way of doing it.  With my
current stuff, I loop through the days in a month, and for each day, I
go through my collection of events, find the ones that apply for that
day, and display them.  I print out a table as I go through the days,
and when I hit sunday, I go to a new row in my table.

With JSF, I'd like to be able to do something similar.  What's the best
way?  Data Table?  I don't think this would work well, since the link
back to the DataModel seems to be row based, which wouldn't really work,
since there are multiple events per day, and multiple days per row, so I
wouldn't have a nice JSF way of knowing which event was clicked.  Do I
need a custom renderer?  Do I need to make a whole custom component?  Is
there just a good way to iterate over a collection in a jsp that's not a
data table?

This was pretty easy to write as a jsp tag, and I can't seem to think of
an easy way to do this with JSF.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jesse Vitrone

Re: suggestions for how to display calendar

Posted by Jesse Vitrone <je...@agentscape.com>.
Bruno,
    Thanks, x:dataList is exactly what I was looking for.  It's sitting
right there in the examples, can't believe I missed that one.  Seems so
basic, I guess I was expecting it to be in the h: tags, and not need an
x: for it.
    I'll take a look at the schedule one when it comes out, although I
think we're going to wind up trying to do some fancy DHTML / Javascript
stuff with out schedule display, so I'll probably stick to my own.
Thanks anyway.

Jesse

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Vitrone <je...@agentscape.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Vitrone <je...@agentscape.com>.
I should point out that it's not a priority for this to be a reusable
component.  It's really just going to be used on this one page, so if
the easiest solution is just some way of iterating over the collection
and it takes 30 lines in the jsp for it to work, that's not a problem.

Thanks again,
    Jesse