Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/19 10:55:50 UTC

Re: [REQUES] Review proposed bylaws (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Project bylaws)

Sorry for the delay. I don't have access to the confluence website
neither I see a simple way to patch it so here is my proposal on the
point 2. I would replace it with:

Be honest, welcoming, friendly, and patient: We work together to
resolve conflict, assume good intentions, and do our best to act in an
empathetic fashion. We may all experience some frustration from time
to time, but we do not allow frustration to turn into a personal
attack. A community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is
not a productive one. We should be respectful when dealing with other
community members as well as with people outside our community.

Note that I replaced empathy (which is a vague concept in many
culture) by honest. Imo the words "honest, welcoming, friendly, and
patient" are defining what could be empathy in many cultures and
doesn't rely on interpretation. The idea came from a conversation with
Katie Miller at the EUC, but never had time to post it here...

Is this OK for you?

The rest is fine for me.

- benoit

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay. I don't have access to the confluence website
> neither I see a simple way to patch it so here is my proposal on the
> point 2. I would replace it with:
>
> Be honest, welcoming, friendly, and patient: We work together to
> resolve conflict, assume good intentions, and do our best to act in an
> empathetic fashion. We may all experience some frustration from time
> to time, but we do not allow frustration to turn into a personal
> attack. A community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is
> not a productive one. We should be respectful when dealing with other
> community members as well as with people outside our community.

Sorry the full text is:

Be honest, welcoming, friendly, and patient: We work together to
resolve conflict, assume good intentions, and do our best to trust each others.
We may all experience some frustration from time
to time, but we do not allow frustration to turn into a personal
attack. A community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is
not a productive one. We should be respectful when dealing with other
community members as well as with people outside our community.

Opening a new thread about that to discuss the proposal.

- benoit