Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <ko...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/05/21 22:12:40 UTC

[xerces2] org.apache.xerces.xni.QName

I have a question about XNI QName class.

Specifically, its "uri" field.

The documentation comment of this field is currently

>     /**
>      * The URI to which the qname prefix is bound. This binding must be
>      * performed by a XML Namespaces aware processor.
>      */
>     public String uri;

When namespace is not used, for example

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root />

It seems to me that this field is set to null, instead of "". Is this an
intended behavior?

AbstractSAXParser has the following statement:

>                 String uri = element.uri != null ? element.uri : fEmptySymbol;
>                 fContentHandler.endElement(uri, element.localpart,
>                                            element.rawname);

, which is consistent with the "noNS=null" hypothesis. But this can be
also interpreted as a precaution.

--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@eng.sun.com