Posted to community@apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/12/21 06:43:01 UTC

Community *thanks* and Community *responsibility*

Hello!

Now I am exploring about our brains. :-)

left-side cerebral cortex (A) | right-side cerebral cortex (D)
------------------------------|-------------------------------
left-side limbic system   (B) | right-side limbic system   (C)

(A) can be expressed as "Calculation Brain"
(B) can be expressed as "Organization/Planning Brain"
(C) can be expressed as "Communication Brain"
(D) can be expressed as "Innovation/Integration Brain"

(A) is opposed to (C) as well as (B) is opposed to (D).
The confrontation between (A) and (C) can be expressed as
the difference of men/women. (Just a difference of the preference of
thinking)

(B) brain often takes "responsibilities" of local organization
(and person). Also, (B) brain is highly related to "sectionalism",
"bureaucratism".
(Bureaucrats often create "trifling" works in order to maintain their
*local* organizations and keep their prides ;-)

On the other hand, (D) brain (as opposed to (B) brain) can also
take responsibilities, however, they would be rather "global"
responsibilites. I imagined these *responsibilities* can be highly
associated with "community thanks".

When I became Apache Software Foundation Committer, I felt strangeness
of the messages "Thanks"/"Sorry" from some ASF members. I tried
to confirm what makes them say such words in particular situations.
Now, I do realize that this was "Community thanks"/"Community sorry".
( = These *thanks* messages are derived from the WILL of our community)

Yes, I have come to realize and now feel these "Community Thanks/Sorry"s
very comfortable. Also, I can proudly say that "Thanks, Apache". Maybe,
this is one of the most important factors by which Apache attracts a lot
of developers and users from all over the world.
Also, as I've read the bylaws of the ASF, this bylaws seems to have
affinity to these kinds of "Community Thanks/Sorry/Responsibility"
... really nice.

... What do you folks think?

P.S. (B) brain prefers "closed" communication, on the other
hand, (D) brain prefers "open" communication.

Re: Community *thanks* and Community *responsibility*

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:09:55 -0800
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> What is this "community thanks/sorry" thing? and what does this have to
> do with the brain stucture you describe?

> Excuse my evident stupidity but I don't get it.

Aha. what I wanted to imply is ... that the "local thinking"
and "global thinking" are completely opposite results of the
brain, however, they often can be seen *as if* they were "the same"
things on first sight.
If we can not recognize the sameness and differentia, often we
*attack* our dear fellows.

I've come to realize that Apache was far from "bureaucratism", because
the dynamism of the Apache has been derived from right-side cerebral
cortex ("Global" brain). What could be perceived "bureaucratism"
for me was *not* "bureaucratism" in this community.
Also, "Community Thanks" in the higher level of our activities --
will keep this community sane.

I wanted to describe what you told me/us before, in other words. ;-)
# Also, the ASF bylaws really fits to such right-side cerebral
# cortex styled way of thinking.

--

Thanks, (personal thanks :)

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: Community *thanks* and Community *responsibility*

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.