Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Sahith Nallapareddy via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2023/04/24 17:56:57 UTC

Testing a pipeline with external transform

Hello,

I was wondering the best way to test a pipeline with external transform. We
were trying to use the DirectRunner but it seemed to hang on the external
transform step. I was wondering if someone could point me to somewhere in
the beam code where this is done or give some pointers on how to test a
pipeline with an External step in it? I tried searching a bit but was
unsuccessful, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks,

Sahith

Re: Testing a pipeline with external transform

Posted by Sahith Nallapareddy via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.
Sounds good, let me try that thank you again!

Thanks,

Sahith

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 2:11 PM Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 11:06 AM Sahith Nallapareddy <sa...@spotify.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Ah I missed that thank you! I am assuming for java jobs with java
>> external transform, we run a Java Job Service?
>>

> No, the job service is tied to the runner not to the pipeline SDK. The
> Java quickstart guide gives instructions for starting up a job service for
> Python portable runner for running Java jobs.
>
> - Cham
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sahith
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 2:01 PM Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you looked into quickstart guides (Java [1], Python [2]) which also
>>> gives instructions for running using DirectRunner ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Cham
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://beam.apache.org/documentation/sdks/java-multi-language-pipelines/