Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2016/12/08 16:19:35 UTC

Re: Upcoming 3.4/3.5 releases.

The inclusion of ZOOKEEPER-2014 has been raised as a problem by Jordan (see
the separate thread on this list). I don't feel I can cut a 3.5.3-alpha
release until the issue has been resolved by the community. I was hoping to
get a release candidate created before vacation starts, so please comment
on that thread asap so that we can progress.

Patrick

Re: Upcoming 3.4/3.5 releases.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
I personally don't mind supporting changes that satisfy the requirements of the broad community, even if they deviate from the original plan. Changes to ZooKeeper clearly affect Curator users, so we should care and I believe we do.

I can't agree with the argument that because the feature has taken long to stabilize, folks are free to ignore the recommendation of the community. The recommendation was to treat the reconfiguration feature as experimental because there could be changes to the API. My expectation was that anyone using it would either keep in mind that such changes could come or bring any concern to the community. If we were not handling the stabilization of the 3.5 branch in a way that satisfied users, the discussion should have been brought to the list, possibly accompanied of a recommendation if not a plan of execution.

To insist on my position, I'm fine with the suggestion of deprecating the old calls rather than remove them. If it doesn't break anything and users are happier this way, then why not? I'm not fine with the argument that we have to take it because the community has taken long to complete it, though.

-Flavio

Re: Upcoming 3.4/3.5 releases.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Re: Upcoming 3.4/3.5 releases.