Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alan Halley <ah...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2002/10/08 15:55:28 UTC

JDBCRealm Question

Hi

I am getting strange error when I try to use JDCRealm. I running Tomcat 4 from within Forte.
The error is

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Exception opening database connection:  java.sql.SQLException: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
LifecycleException:  Exception opening database connection:  java.sql.SQLException: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.start(JDBCRealm.java:615)
I'm sure that my JDBCrealm is configured correctly. Here is the relevant section of the server.xml

      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
          driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
        connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/diamond?user=alan;password=xxxxxxx;"
       userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
        userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name"/>

Alan Halley

Re: JDBCRealm Question

Posted by Rick Fincher <rn...@tbird.com>.
Hi Alan,

It may be just a typo but the connectionURL you have listewd below doesn't
have a port number in it.  Other than that, it looks correct, assuming that
you are using the correct mysql driver name.

Also, Forte runs a version of Tomcat that is configured to run inside the
development environment.  There may be a problem there.

If you can, try your realm definition on a stand-alone version of Tomcat.
If it works there, then the Forte setup is the problem.

You can syntax check the server.xml file in Forte by clicking on the runtime
tab in the explorer, then expanding "Installed Servers", expanding "Tomcat
4.0" and right clicking on the one you are using (probably "Internal").
Select "Configure (edit server.xml)" from the popup list.

The file will open in the editor and all the tags should be blue.  If there
is an error the code will be greyed out.

Rick

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: JDBCRealm Question