Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com> on 2002/08/19 14:52:28 UTC

zip/gzip serializer?

Hi cocooners,
I want to download my generated data in gzipped or zipped
but I didn't found a gzip or zip serializer in cocoon.

Is it possible in another way to setup this or
do I have to start writing such a serializer?

Regards,
Michael

Re: zip/gzip serializer?

Posted by Ralph Henke <ra...@ifbus.de>.
> But I do not want to get ALL output from cocoon compressed.
> I want:
> For a request data.csv get it as text,
> for a request data.csv.gz get it as gzipped data,
> for a request data.csv.zip get it as zipped data.

Maybe you can rewrite the reader DirectoryZipArchiver.java from scratchpad.
Best regards,
Ralph Henke

Re: zip/gzip serializer?

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Jens Lorenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I want to download my generated data in gzipped or zipped
> > but I didn't found a gzip or zip serializer in cocoon.
> >
> > Is it possible in another way to setup this or
> > do I have to start writing such a serializer?
>
> Have a look at this link. This will compress Servlet output with a Servlet
> Filter.
>
> http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonServletCompressionFilterS
> nippet
>
> Another option is to use mod_gzip of Apache httpd for this. (probably
> faster as well)

Hi Jens,
thank you for your answer.
But I do not want to get ALL output from cocoon compressed.
I want:
For a request data.csv get it as text,
for a request data.csv.gz get it as gzipped data,
for a request data.csv.zip get it as zipped data.

Or especially for the HSSF format: I want to offer not only xls
but also Gnumeric format. And Gnumeric format is gzip compressed.

Maybe AbstractSerializer could be extended, to accept something like
<compression>gzip</compression> or <compression>zip</compression>

Regards,
Michael

Re: zip/gzip serializer?

Posted by Jens Lorenz <je...@interface-projects.de>.
> I want to download my generated data in gzipped or zipped
> but I didn't found a gzip or zip serializer in cocoon.
>
> Is it possible in another way to setup this or
> do I have to start writing such a serializer?

Have a look at this link. This will compress Servlet output with a Servlet
Filter.

http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonServletCompressionFilterS
nippet

Another option is to use mod_gzip of Apache httpd for this. (probably
faster as well)

> Regards,
> Michael

Jens

--

jens.lorenz at interface-projects dot de

interface:projects GmbH                             \\|//
Tolkewitzer Strasse 49                              (o o)
01277 Dresden                               ~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~
Germany

RE: zip/gzip serializer?

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> From: Enke, Michael [mailto:michael.enke@wincor-nixdorf.com]
>
> Hi cocooners,
> I want to download my generated data in gzipped or zipped
> but I didn't found a gzip or zip serializer in cocoon.
>
> Is it possible in another way to setup this or
> do I have to start writing such a serializer?

Tomcat has the capability as does Apache and IIS.

Search the archives for details.

J.

RE: zip/gzip serializer?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Michael,

you may use the compression tool of your web-server. Both IIS and Apache have such a feature, moreover, most browsers can decompress
the output.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant