Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Huu Phuoc <ph...@ssp.com.vn> on 2003/02/25 09:04:28 UTC

Password with space!

I want James support password containing spaces. Please help me modify James
source code.
Thanks for your help!

RE: Password with space!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Oh, I see.  I'm sorry.  I actually was thinking of a password elsewhere in
James.

RFC 1939 says:

  Since the PASS command has exactly one argument, a POP3
  server may treat spaces in the argument as part of the
  password, instead of as argument separators.

So James doesn't need to do the string tokenizing that it does.  The quick
change (it is not a bug: there is no *requirement* that the mail server
support passwords with spaces), would be:

 doPASS(command, rawCommand.substring(5).trim(), null);

although I will not have time to test this before calling it a night.  I
recommend the trim, allowing whitespace only within the password.

Does anyone else reading this thread care about passwords with embedded
whitespace?

	--- Noel

Posted by Huu Phuoc <ph...@ssp.com.vn>.
Thanks for help!